PDA

View Full Version : what distributor?

megaladon6
12-04-2009, 02:36 PM
i just blew a 2nd coil in 2 years (one MSD blaster2 and one el cheapo) and am wondering if it's cause i kept the stock style distributor.
i think i'm gonna just go with a regular HEI, but what do i look for? mag pick-up or hall effect, etc? (btw i don't want to spend too much, otherwise i'd just get an e-curve)
while i'm at it, any recommendations for spark curve/total timing?
it's a 383 w/vortec heads, performer intake, XE274-H cam, q-jet, 9.7:1 CR,
thanks
nick

kryptik
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Make sure the ground from the coil to the battery is sound, and I personally would make sure the electricity is flowing through low resistance wiring rather than through the body or frame (the same goes for the distributor ground, I burnt out an MSD dizzy due to a bad ground which overheated the module). Furthermore, make sure the coil is isolated from heat sources so it runs cool.

A stock HEI with a mag pickup should run well, especially if you set it up with an MSD ignition module (6AL etc)

I would start with about 32 degrees total timing all in at about 3500 rpm and work up from there. Not sure on the exact specs on the cam but I'd start with around 12 degrees initial timing with the vacuum advance disconnected and in gear with a friend depressing the brake pedal to make sure the RPMs are low enough not to engage the mechanical advance. Vacuum advance should be on a timed port.