PDA

View Full Version : ZZ502 Questions

madmax
04-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I just got a '69 Camaro after searching for a while and now it is time to start the work.

I've seen the ZZ502 crate engines floating around for some time now, but didn't realize you could get the whole thing so "cheaply". How are its street manners?

How durable is the engine (as in street/strip, with an emphasis on street), and how is its bottom end? Eventually we want to supercharge it, and if we do, what will need to go?

If I wait long enough I can probably get nearly a 450-500 hp smallblock 400 motor from an engine guy I know with a billet crank, Manley rods, etc. for about a thousand more. I have a feeling the 502 will have better street manners.

Also, which do you think will have a better resale value (as in the whole vehicle, not just the motor; it will be lightly modified with a good body, paint, mini-tubs, big brakes, etc. but nothing outrageous (to me) like front coil-overs)?

Thanks,
Max

Lowend
04-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I have seen and heard tales of lots of ring seating issues with the GM 502 crate motors.

My opinion, if you are going to supercharge I would build a small block and set it up for the blower from the get go. It will be more dependable than a compromise 502 and will make more than enough useable power.

You should be able to build a blower ready smallblock right for ~$6K oilpan to carb.

4MuscleMachines
04-13-2005, 08:57 PM
I had a 502HO and it was supercharged at 8-9psi...no problems. They have very strong bottom ends and all forged reciprocating assemblies. It dynoed at 670rwhp with not much tuning on the car. I sold the car and purchased a ZZ502 which is basically the same except for the alum heads and intake. I expect more from this engine. FYI, the guy is still running the car hard without any problems.
I like the GMPP stuff so much I am starting to look for the Ram Jet Zl1.
Got a very nice GMPP 454HO at a very nice price...need to sell for the ZL1 downpayment!

madmax
04-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I think I may end up going in the dierection of the 502 if I can get a good deal on one. I don't mind putting on a few pounds for an engine that makes a lot of tourque right off the get-go. From the dyno charts that I have seen, most of that is available (like 480 ft/lbs) right off the bat. Plus, I've always wanted a big block.

andrewb70
04-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Email me!
[email protected]

I have a 502 for sale. It was installed in my GTO and it makes the ZZ502 look like a kids toy. Mine made just over 500 RWHP and it is totally streetable AND it includes fuel injection. Shoot me an email and I will give you all the details.

Andrew

toofun
04-15-2005, 04:58 AM
HEY ANDREW AND 4 MUSCLEMACHINESMAN PM'S SENT.

mARK

USAZR1
04-15-2005, 03:43 PM
One of my business associates has a LS-6 crate motor for sale. Drop me a line at [email protected] for more information.

madmax
04-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Sorry to dig this post up for a bump, but...

Like I siad earlier I'm on putting it under boost at a later point; what would I need to do to the motor under low boost (6 psi, probably)? It seems that the compression is fine.

My engine builder said that the Chevy crates "blow up" after a while (I know he was exaggerating) but he does go to the track to, uh, "pick up some spare cash". He also reccomends a small-block because they are less violent then a big block (we're looking at a 400 right now).

What is your take on what I should do here? Lowend has reccomended to just do a built SB. We're going to cruise, but definately put the pedal into the floor a lot, and make some track passes. No heavy duty strip use.

Also, I need some help in the A/C department. The heating and cooling forum is not traveled very much, but if you could take a look, I'd appreciate it (basically I have a non A/C car that needs it).

A/C help! (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum_main.htm)

Thanks,
Max