TonyHuntimer
12-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Check out these aluminum body panels
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

They are from Auto Metal Direct.
http://autometaldirect.com

ProdigyCustoms
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Awesome stuff. We are a dealer for them. We are using them on our next special project to be announced.

Any one is interested, we have them available.

Mike Holleman
12-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Check out these aluminum body panels
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

They are from Auto Metal Direct.
http://autometaldirect.com
Man, They make me almost want to do a 1st Gen.
Mike

TonyHuntimer
12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I wonder if there's a real weight savings?

JohnUlaszek
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
I have one of AMD's Aluminum hoods for an upcoming story on my 72 Nova and it's certainly lighter than the OEM sheet metal.

JEFFTATE
12-01-2009, 07:52 PM
OMG !!!
They're beautiful..
But , how much lighter are they ??

Wow, this company is in Buford ., Ga...
That's only 60 miles from me.....
Get's me to thinking ...

redfire69
12-02-2009, 04:51 AM
Wow, don't lean on that Camaro...LOL! I have the AMD steel cowl hood. Very nice peice.

wellis77
12-02-2009, 08:56 AM
All AMD's stuff is quality. No experience with the aluminum stuff but I am getting ready to put some of their full quarters on my Dart.

Kenova
12-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Wow, don't lean on that Camaro...LOL!
Imagine what UPS could do with one of these panels :eek: .

Ken

ProdigyCustoms
12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
It is a 150LBS weight savings. Looks like ours will be here before Christmas.

We are doing free shipping on complete packages!

JohnUlaszek
12-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Imagine what UPS could do with one of these panels :eek: .

Ken

My hood came by truck, and was remarkably well packaged.

MCMLXIX
12-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Whats the Cost Vs. Weight of Aluminum Vs. Carbon Fiber??

ProdigyCustoms
12-03-2009, 04:58 AM
Not sure I know how to answer that question. Hood is $600 for aluminum, $1500 for carbon / carbon. Aluminum hood is 5LBs more (22LBS) then the carbon / carbon hood (17LBS).

MCMLXIX
12-03-2009, 05:06 AM
Not sure I know how to answer that question. Hood is $600 for aluminum, $1500 for carbon / carbon. Aluminum hood is 5LBs more (22LBS) then the carbon / carbon hood (17LBS).

Yeah, thats exactly the type of info I was looking for....
... now tell me they offer an SS Hood and trunk lid for 1967 Chevelle.... :machine:

ProdigyCustoms
12-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Not yet

PhillipM
12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, thats exactly the type of info I was looking for....
... now tell me they offer an SS Hood and trunk lid for 1967 Chevelle.... :machine:

Doh! New the answer was going to be no on that one! Haha

6768toys
12-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Sure hope they come out with these for a '68 Camaro.

johnny rockett
12-05-2009, 12:54 PM
It is a 150LBS weight savings. Looks like ours will be here before Christmas.

We are doing free shipping on complete packages!

Thats for all pieces...bumpers etc?

formula
12-05-2009, 02:24 PM

And a stock hood is, what, 35 lbs and about $350? I'm asking here.

If it is, that's about 20 bucks per pound lost for aluminum, compared to about 50 bucks per pound lost for CF. Granted, you lose more pounts with CF, but if going with an aluminum hood saves enough money to allow for a full aluminum package, you can probably end up losing more weight for equal money with all aluminum than you would with a steel/CF mix.

If you guys can get me weights and replacement costs for all of the different parts, i can build a comparison that shows the best combination of cost and weight savings. I mean, clearly, the best would be as much carbon as possible, and anything you can't get in carbon, go aluminum, but we can figure out different combinations and show how much you're paying per pound you're saving and maybe help everybody make a more educated decision about what parts they want to upgrade and what parts aren't worth the cash per pound.

On a tangent, you know what I wanna see? Somebody making a hydroformed subframe out of high-strength steel instead of the more standard grades that are used. HSS would allow for strength and rigidity requirements to be met with thinner/less material, making for an overall weight savings at probably not that much of a cost increase. I dunno, maybe this is what DSE is doing, but if it is I haven't heard about it.

///back on topic now.

wendell
12-14-2009, 11:07 AM
And a stock hood is, what, 35 lbs and about $350? I'm asking here.

If it is, that's about 20 bucks per pound lost for aluminum, compared to about 50 bucks per pound lost for CF. Granted, you lose more pounts with CF, but if going with an aluminum hood saves enough money to allow for a full aluminum package, you can probably end up losing more weight for equal money with all aluminum than you would with a steel/CF mix.

If you guys can get me weights and replacement costs for all of the different parts, i can build a comparison that shows the best combination of cost and weight savings. I mean, clearly, the best would be as much carbon as possible, and anything you can't get in carbon, go aluminum, but we can figure out different combinations and show how much you're paying per pound you're saving and maybe help everybody make a more educated decision about what parts they want to upgrade and what parts aren't worth the cash per pound.

On a tangent, you know what I wanna see? Somebody making a hydroformed subframe out of high-strength steel instead of the more standard grades that are used. HSS would allow for strength and rigidity requirements to be met with thinner/less material, making for an overall weight savings at probably not that much of a cost increase. I dunno, maybe this is what DSE is doing, but if it is I haven't heard about it.

///back on topic now.
Stock Camaro hood has got to be more than 35#. They weight a TON. I'm guessing over 50. The AL body pannels are going to make it even harder to compete in SVRA group 6. Brutal.

phenometron
12-14-2009, 06:59 PM
...And one day, I keep telling myself, they'll start making this cool stuff for my Buick... :(

JohnUlaszek
12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Your Buick is already made of cool stuff.

69X22
12-21-2009, 01:38 AM
How do the 69 Camaro hoods fit compared to Goodmark? Do they still require quite a bit of work to make them fit. Also wander if Ring brothers make a shock for a aluminum hood using their hinges.