PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, building my second car - 70 GTO

yellowfever494
11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Hello all, I'm a newbie to this message board. I'm going to begin my second build, a 70 Lemans with GTO stuff on the front end (not just a 'clone'). I'm 26, I live in central Pennsylvania, and I'm also into Penguins hockey, Marvel comics, and hard rock.

But back to my car. It's not going to be as hardcore as most of these G-machines on here, but it'll have elements of Pro-Touring, Pro-Street (read: big cubes), and even old school hot rods. I want a contemporary street machine, and not specifically based off of someone else's build.

Currently, I've got Heidt's front uppers and lowers, Wilwood front disc brakes (four-piston), and a Chevy 12-bolt that I'm sitting on the fence with. Most likely, I'll eliminate the C-clips with an eliminator kit or if the housing doesn't smooth out with primer and blocking, I might up to a fabbed 9". Either way, I want to run discs on the back.

The engine is a work of art. It's a .060 400 Pontiac with a 4.5" stroke - 494 cubic inches. I'm topping it with a good set of aluminum heads, a Victor intake, and a 1050 cfm Dominator. My uncle's a master at tuning, and we're going to make this combination somewhat street-able. We're going to back it up with a TKO, that the stock console (wrapped in leather) will accept.

When it's all said and done, it'll most likely be C6 Velocity Yellow or a similar shade, and it'll roll on Budniks (Ice, tentatively) with BFG g-force or M/T drag radials. Big sidewalls, and I'll get a cringe from this crowd, but I love 15" wheels. I just think nothing looks badder than a deep-black sidewall on a nice wheel.

The interior's going to be cool, too. I want to do it stock-style with a twist; leather. I'm doing the door panels, the dash pad, the console, and the seats in black leather with polished metal emblems (anyone have a waterjet? haha). Also, I'm taking the stock dash (with three 4" gauge openings) and converting it to a brushed aluminum face with two Auto Meter or Speedhut 5"'s complimented with 2 5/8s to keep an eye on the vitals.

All and all, the car will see about 2,500-5000 miles per year, that's 1,000 more per year than I ever drove my current car, a 72 Chevelle SS.

A little on the Chevelle, it's mostly stock, 396, t 10 four-speed, and a 12 bolt housing a 3.73 posi. I began it when I was 16 and it was 'finished' when I was 19. I also have three other projects - a '72 Corvette, a '67 GTO 400 HO, and a 62 Falcon - which is a source of crap from everyone who finds out that I own a falcon.

I come from a long line of car guys, and I've got other projects (other than my own) currently in the works, so I intend to get this project rolling in late August.

I hope that some of the g-knowledge rubs off on me. Thanks for reading!

1971CHEVELLE
11-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the site

Young Gun
11-30-2009, 05:07 PM
welcome to the site! great lookin rides! they fit right in here, and your already on the right track, you posted pictures! make sure you keep us updated and post up any questions you have, somebody else is sure to have it!