PDA

View Full Version : Full floating 9 inch

Motorcitydak
11-30-2009, 03:09 AM
I will be running a custom width 9 inch in the back of my '68 Charger project. I am thinking about going with the full floating housing setup from Quick Performance. Its around $800 iirc for a bare housing with brake rotors, calipers, bearings, shafts and hubs. Basically all I have to add is a center section. I have 2 of em rite now, I would just have to regear one of them and put in a posi or something.

I figure it will be a lot safer running a full floater just in case I break a shaft at high speed (I know it is unlikely). This will be a street car that will also be doing road racing and auto cross, but mostly street time. Will there be any problems with the bearings or brakes on the street? Has anyone here used one of these setups? I do not mind replacing the bearings every year or so, but I will expect them to last around 5000 miles with my mix of driving conditions.

ProBell
11-30-2009, 03:42 AM
I have run the full floater for a year. Put 5000 miles on it. I put a deg of camber in mine. The only concern I have is the ware on the crowned drive splines. May need to replace axles and drive plates at some point. Will have to watch as the miles rack up.

big gear head
11-30-2009, 05:01 AM
Isn't this going to limit your wheel choices?

ProBell
11-30-2009, 10:30 AM
It will actually help. I run a Speed Way Engineering hub that lets you mount the rotor to the back of the hub. This allows you to move the brake caliper back inside the rim further. I will try to post some pictures later. Randy

ProBell
11-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Just some pictures.

funcars
11-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I run a full floater with a black diamond diff. It seems very durable to me. No excessive wear of drive plates or axles. I did have to switch to 5x5 wheels though. You can buy new race team surplus NASCAR stuff like brakes, rotors, hats, hubs, drive plates, axles, etc. for cheap. You can do a cambered rear too with the same parts except the housing and axles.

Mike Holleman
11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm running a full floating setup on my Elky. Coleman hubs. I have 9,000 miles on them. I don't see any reason to expect short life spans. I have replaced bearings on one side due to my letting them get loose. They are much larger than the bearings in the front hubs and you can expect them to run many thousands of miles. They will take occasional maintenance. Repacking, but not frequently.
The only issue I have had is keeping the 90 wt. out of the axle tubes. You have to use good inner seals and vent the pumpkin.
Big advantage in changing third members. I can have my axles on the bench in five minutes. And the car still rolls. Also the brakes are way inboard as compared to standard axle setups. Better clearance and less dust on the Forgelines. So far I am very pleased with the setup.
Mike

Motorcitydak
11-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Cool, thanks guys! I do not think I am going to use a cambered rear, it is just not going to race enough to need something like that.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback the the quick performance full floater? Or any of their other products? I got a pinion seal from them once but that is it. It seems like a cheap axle so I am a little worried about how robust it will prove to be.

Thanks for the pics Probell. I really want to keep my 5x4.5 bolt pattern tho. My plan is to run the mustang replica 17x10 wheels and get some forged stuff for racing later. Could I put an adapter on that hub? I didnt see a problem with it in your pic there. I would just order the housing an inch or so narrower if I went that way. Its either that or Id have to use an adapter on the front end to use the 5x5 on front. Then of course Id have to do a lot of searching again to find a cheap set of wheels that I like to run on the street.

funcars-where would I search to find surplus nascar stuff?

ProBell
12-01-2009, 04:26 AM
My hubs are small GM 5x4.5 or 5x4.75 .I can not remember this morning for some reason.
Speed Way will make them for you.

Mike Holleman
12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
My hubs are small GM 5x4.5 or 5x4.75 .I can not remember this morning for some reason.
Speed Way will make them for you.
I'm pretty sure Coleman can supply drive hubs for 5 X4.5 wheels. Mine are 5 X 4.75 for my GM. Their stuff is pretty much industry std. for circle track. You can find them at www.colemanracing.com (http://www.colemanracing.com).
Mike

Motorcitydak
12-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Well I found a Coleman Racing housing I think I can use. Will they build it to my spec'd width?
http://www.colemanracing.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=4898

Here is the one I am looking at from Quick Performance. The only things I do not like about it are the 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern and the 5/8 studs. I keep forgetting to call them to discuss the options. Maybe I can get my BP without having to run an adapter. I for sure want to keep my 4.5 pattern tho
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-inch-ford-GN-floater-rear-end-axles-hubs-housing-new_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a4a6a21dcQQitemZ25 0356572636QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories

big gear head
12-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Moser Engineering also makes 9 inch Ford rear ends with full floating axles. Have you looked at them?

Mike Holleman
12-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Well I found a Coleman Racing housing I think I can use. Will they build it to my spec'd width?
http://www.colemanracing.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=4898

Here is the one I am looking at from Quick Performance. The only things I do not like about it are the 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern and the 5/8 studs. I keep forgetting to call them to discuss the options. Maybe I can get my BP without having to run an adapter. I for sure want to keep my 4.5 pattern tho
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-inch-ford-GN-floater-rear-end-axles-hubs-housing-new_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a4a6a21dcQQitemZ25 0356572636QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories
I would give Coleman a call and ask direct questions. They are a manufacturer and most likely can provide what you want. And there are many other folks out there that can do the same. You definately can keep the 4.5 spacing even if the hubs require custom drilling.
Mike

scogin918
12-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Muscle Motorsports in Charlotte, NC is where I purchased a refurbished NASCAR setup with 3rd member, axles, fluid cooler and brakes. Setting up one of these is ultra easy and takes virtually no time at all. As far as any bolt pattern concerns, Sprint Cup is 5 on 5 with HUGE studs. I had to change out the 5/8" stud for a tapered Chrysler 1/2" stud. Nationwide series however are 5 on 4-3/4"and should give you plenty more options.

hotrdblder
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
You have to remember nascar staggers the camber, so this would not be ideal for a road car.

slowcamaro
12-07-2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.9inchfloater.com/

any experiences here?

HarleyR
12-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Muscle Motorsports in Charlotte, NC is where I purchased a refurbished NASCAR setup with 3rd member, axles, fluid cooler and brakes. Setting up one of these is ultra easy and takes virtually no time at all. As far as any bolt pattern concerns, Sprint Cup is 5 on 5 with HUGE studs. I had to change out the 5/8" stud for a tapered Chrysler 1/2" stud. Nationwide series however are 5 on 4-3/4"and should give you plenty more options.
You are incorrect.....Cup,Nationwide and truck all run the same Hubs and wheels...

zerotofear
12-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Speedway supplied all the hub kits for the SmokinSS project, and the wheels came from Centerline 17x10's with 5x5 bolt circle. We kept the 5/8 studs but had to machine custom lugnuts from 4340 billet stock.

Mark Davis

www.smokinss.info

scogin918
12-18-2009, 04:56 PM
You are incorrect.....Cup,Nationwide and truck all run the same Hubs and wheels...

They had the different sizes there when I purchased this one. They may not be different any more but they where when I purchased mine. As far as the camber goes, it depends on what type of track the original car was setup for. Different tracks call for different camber. Mine is straight up. Short tracks and SuperSpeedway rearends have more.

http://www.ptpfab.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?&shop=ptp&cart=247350x3397&session=48f25dc60d45c636&L=eng&Category=300015

Available in three bolt circles: - 5 x 5" - 5 X 4-3/4" - 5 x 5-1/2"

sniper
12-18-2009, 05:41 PM
You have to remember nascar staggers the camber, so this would not be ideal for a road car.
I haven't seen one that did not have camber built in. We always have to cut the ends off and weld em up straight. No biggie, for the cost of these rear ends, but something to keep in mind.

HarleyR
12-20-2009, 07:04 PM
The hubs with different bolt patters are a Sportsman style hub for late models or Mods. Funny you bring up the PTP website Ive known Chris for 10 years. NASCAR Limits the amout of camber you can have in the rear end at 2 degrees.... Sure you might find cheated up ones that have more but you can be safe and saying there around 2... A superspeedway (old restrictor plate)Housing will have close to no camber and no toe... because its not about handling its about not losing HP.. Older Truck housings which have widths will have little camber as well...Stay away from Tex Housings the tubes and snouts are one piece not welded on..I wouldnt waste my time with an old stockcar housing... I'd start with a fresh one by the time you re-tube..re snout it your still left with a warn out center... the gasket faces leak.... the studs are barely staying in place beacuse of the countless gear changes.....

The GMR
01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I will be running a custom width 9 inch in the back of my '68 Charger project. I am thinking about going with the full floating housing setup from Quick Performance. Its around $800 iirc for a bare housing with brake rotors, calipers, bearings, shafts and hubs. Basically all I have to add is a center section. I have 2 of em rite now, I would just have to regear one of them and put in a posi or something.

I figure it will be a lot safer running a full floater just in case I break a shaft at high speed (I know it is unlikely). This will be a street car that will also be doing road racing and auto cross, but mostly street time. Will there be any problems with the bearings or brakes on the street? Has anyone here used one of these setups? I do not mind replacing the bearings every year or so, but I will expect them to last around 5000 miles with my mix of driving conditions.

We have a few options available that you might want to consider before you make your purchase.

Bare Housings start at $500 and each unit is made to your specific width at no extra charge. We employ a "JIT" system of manufacture so each setup is catered to that customer. Just like DELL computers in a way. There are many options, some not listed online yet.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/01/yhst94167679943066_2085_131027-1.jpg

We also offer Full Floating Packages starting at $1125 and range from just Hubs/ Housing to a complete rear end with third member. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at the shop.
Jason @ theGMR 562-595-5410

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/01/yhst94167679943066_2088_36152663-1.jpg

From Bare Housings to Full Floater packages all the options and pricing is available online at the link below.
http://www.thegmrstore.com/3inchhousing.html

thanks,
Jason