PDA

View Full Version : 1st time frame off restoration project-68 impala

jessejames84free
11-29-2009, 01:24 AM
i'm new to the forum, names James, I bought a 68 impala under a year ago after returning from Iraq and discharging from the Army. This is my first time attempting a frame off restore, I,ve owned a 79 monte carlo, 85 cutlass, 77 silverado, and 79 gmc pickup which were all descent but this is a major project. The guy I got it form was going through a divorce and had it for sale for $5500. THought it was a steal but now that me and my wife just bought a home and I have the garage to tear it apart I'm starting to get it down to the severe rust damage as I take every piece off. beginning to think I'm getting in to more than I anticipated. the body may be the only thing I keep and that will be after replacing the floor pans, front fenders, trunk floor and more. I do need some suggestions on some methods of removing the frame off the body, do I need a body hoist, or can I use wood and jacks, please give me some knowledge form experience, thanks

exwestracer
11-29-2009, 09:08 AM
You don't really need any fancy lifting equipment to get the body off the frame. What you need are some of the tall threaded stands they use to hold mobile home frames up while the foundations are being built. Some older homes may still have them under the rails.

Move the car to a location where you can leave the body sitting and jack it up with jackstands under the frame. Your front stands will need to be at the VERY front of the frame. You will need it high enough so the rear frame kickups will clear the floorpan when you drop the frame. Place the threaded stands under the rocker pinch welds as far out as you can get them. Use as many as you like, but 2 on each side and 2 at the rear will usually do. Remove the rear axle but leave the wheels and tires on the front. Next put a floor jack under the rear frame and remove the body mount bolts. Pull the rear jackstands out from the frame, then drop the rear of the frame down until the kickups clear the floor. Drop the front wheels to the ground and roll the frame out to the front.

BTW, we are currently doing a suspension upgrade on a 70 Impaler if you are interested in pics/info. It will be a full on handling suspension rolling on 22s.

CruizinKev
11-29-2009, 09:18 AM
nice project :twothumbs

1971CHEVELLE
11-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the site