PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here. Qa1 coilover or Hotchkis springs w/gas shocks?

72nova72
04-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Hey everyone. Newbie here need help with some questions. I have a '72 Nova that I'm trying to fix up. I have an opportunity to buy a brand new set up QA1's coilover gmp14 for a decent price or buy the Hotchkis springs and a set of koni/kyb gas shocks. My question is. What's better for the type of driving that I'm going to do and the most bang for the buck. I'm going to be mostly driving as a daily driver/cruiser with some fun curve driving once in a while. I'm also looking to get the hotchkis front sway bar and their rear leaf springs. The motor is a 350 small block with aluminum heads. I'm going to be running 17x8 rims all the way around the car. So, what kind of ride quality would I expect from the coilover or from the hotchkis for that matter. Also, I'm looking into doing the Guldstrand mod and maybe using Global West's offset shaft. Can anyone help me get pointed in the right direction. Is this a good set up? Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MikeDVC
04-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I have a 75 Camaro with Hotchkis front and rear springs, KYB shocks, 16 inch wheels. Using the car for street it corners great and rides very nice. I was expecting a stiff / hard ride but it's not.

Since you have aluminum heads, you may need to trim the front springs. I have Alum. heads, fiberglass hood, battery in the trunk, so I had to cut off a full coil.

Lowend
04-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Use the Hotchkis springs and matched shocks (labeled Hotchkis, but actually custom valved Bilstien )... excellent setup for street use.

QA1 is a poor design and the shocks are not very dependable

Derek69SS
04-13-2005, 05:11 PM
QA1 is a poor design and the shocks are not very dependable

Please elaborate, I was planning to send them some of my money within the next week.:doh:

Lowend
04-13-2005, 05:26 PM
The QA1 shocks are not true gas charged cartrages, but rather a tube with a gas bag inside of it. They don't hold up very well over time, and I know more than one person who has put them on shock aborber "dyno" (measures rate bound and rebound) only to find them very inconsistant.
Not to mention they are a PITA to adjust ride height.

I like the idea, but the QA1's just aren't very well executed.

72nova72
04-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks guys. I've decided to go with the Hotchkis springs. Now I need to decide what shock to put with it. If I should go with the hotchkis sells or kyb or edelbrock ias or someone else. Any suggestions.

Also, I've looking around and I've seen people say that ploy bushings are not good for your car. I was going to get the pst poly frontend kit. Should I still get it.

Piet
04-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Pick up the latest copy of PHR... and look at the g/28 story... a great read. (It is on a camaro though... not a nova, but should be similar principles)
Look at the performance increase they are getting with kyb shocks and new springs. GREAT bang for the buck!

72nova72
04-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I have that copy of PHR Piet. I saw that. But my 72' nova has the same frontend as the 1st gen camaro's. I'm looking into that setup too. Thanks Piet

Lowend
04-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Stay away from KYB, the shocks are valved very poorly for Camaro's
Use the Hothckis shocks - the springrates and dampening is already matched

Piet
04-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Lowend.... do you have a post on your "Too much suspension to list"?

Lowend
04-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Ha - not really... I can list some of the stuff here:
550# front springs with Bilstien/Hotchkis shocks
Del-A-Lum a-arm bushings
B-Body Spindes and brakes
160# rear springs with relocated mounts for more anti-dive
Solid body mounts
VSE 1.31" Front swaybar (solid case hardened steel with Hiem jointed endlinks)
VSE 1" Rear Swaybar

geeze from there I kinda lose track

Piet
04-18-2005, 07:20 AM
with relocated mounts for more anti-dive
relocated.... where?

zbugger
04-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Check my web page. www.cardomain.com/id/zbugger

Go to page three and scroll down. I had my mounts prepped in the same way, but I'm using the stock holes at the moment. I'll be changing them later so I can really see the effect.

Piet
04-18-2005, 12:52 PM
the stock holes are the lower holes... correct?

Lowend
04-18-2005, 06:11 PM
The spring is relocated about 3/4" higher up or closer to the floorpan.

zbugger
04-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Yes, the stock ones are the lower.

Lowend, like these?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Lowend
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
yep -