PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage for Silver State Classic

Reckn8
04-12-2005, 02:10 PM
I am currently in the middle of building a car that I would like to use to race the Silver State Classic with. In their rule book it states that all roll cage tubing must be welded 360 degrees around. My problem is that the in order to keep it out of the way and from hitting the passangers I want to tuck it up tight, but then you are not able to completly weld some of the joints. Has any body raced or built a car to be raced in this event that could help me out. Do they physically check every joint? :wrc:

Matt@RFR
04-12-2005, 02:45 PM
If they didn't check every joint, I wouldn't race under their supervision!

A couple ways to do it:

Drill holes in the floor directly below where the A-pillar and main hoop bars will hit the floor, then you can tack the doubler plates where they go, then tack the main hoop, halo bar and/or A-pillar bars to each other. Remove the doubler plates and drop the cage through the floor.

Or you can do same as above but leave the A-pillar bars off, and tilt the main hoop / roof bar / halo bar forward.

Depends on how the car and cage are layed out.

Just do it the easy way and build a full-frame car. :)

Reckn8
04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Thank you for the help.

dennis68
04-23-2005, 06:42 PM
SSCC probably won't check but most other organizations will. A good friend used to run with SSCC and actually did some tech too. They have gotten REAL lax lately and as a result A LOT of guys have quit running in their events. There were a few small items like course workers not being able to communicate with each other about track hazards and cars getting a pass on tech that shouldn't have got them a little bit spooked.