PDA

View Full Version : Air Rides, Tiger cage

MStennes
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Curious, on your thoughts of the Tiger Cage? From my reading it seems to answer my 69 verts prolems if it doesnt hamper the top and fits under it?
http://www.ridetech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=1828

ProdigyCustoms
11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I love the Tiger Cage in the Bull Run Racer. Fits like a glove and does firm the car up a lot.

Weather a Camaro kit will fit your convertible, I do not know.

mjoc1
11-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Has it been certified to be used in any sanctioned racing bodies yet. And if I am not mistaken they are very expensive aren't they

Mike

formula
11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
their website says they have yet to receive any sanctioning approvals, which, combined with the price, is a dealbreaker for me.

monza
11-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I think the real question or debate, as discussed on here before would be what is the cage really for, street, track, just firming up the 69-vert? Then the answer will be a debate seemingly to go on for ever forever....
(do a roll-bar and safety search and you'll see what I mean)

MStennes
11-17-2009, 02:11 PM
I love the Tiger Cage in the Bull Run Racer. Fits like a glove and does firm the car up a lot.

Weather a Camaro kit will fit your convertible, I do not know.
I think the expense is it being stainless, but for that matter one could be made up using the picture for a referance and make their own out of traditional cm tubeing. The price keeps getting me to, I guess at this point my question should be is this a sound design?

1968Maro
11-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I really love the look of the Tiger Cage, but then I get to that price tag and I cringe. If they skimped on the stainless steal I'll bet they could drop the price some.

mjoc1
11-17-2009, 05:34 PM
you could almost make your own out of stainless steel tubing. Just go to a metal supply place and order what you need.

I don't think any sanctioned racing body will ever approve this because it is not welded. thus causing the connections to be the weak point of the cage. In my opinion.

Mike

MonzaRacer
11-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Point of this part is a completely bolt in rollcage that doesnt require damage to the interior(ie welding) pulling everything out to install a cage.
Or weld something in and have it there forever. The tiger cage can be removed.
Its purpose want to go top fuel racing, simply to add stiffness and some protection to a protouring car.
As for some types of racing I dont see why they wont allow it AFTER testing.
If you actually see what the design is and quality involved your thoughts would change.
Also be careful trying to copy something as it may get you into trouble doing so.
This cage was not simply a design thrown together in a rush it was actually designed with specific idea in mind.
For a bunch of people who will look at cars and not flinch at $3000+ wheels but quibble about a completely bolt in roll cage,,, come on guys.
And actually I think if you saw the connections those are probably the strongest points in most instances.
Dont get me wrong, you wont see it in a pro stocker but some classes might be allowed ,some types of racing.

mjoc1
11-18-2009, 09:54 PM
If you don't try to sell an item you can copy it to a tee. And even if it is a bolt in you are still going to have to tear up the carpet and drill holes. To make it look good. also nothing is ever a true bolt in there is almost always something that needs a little work.

Mike

68sixspeed
11-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Clamp connections, no diagonal bracing, a lot of stress on a few fasteners (at least in double shear), just a lot of things I don't like about this product to be called a 'cage' - chassis stiffener, sure, 'cage' no.

BIGX69
11-19-2009, 05:52 PM
IF THE PRICE GO'S down i'll get one... i think it will work fine for some one not looking to do any hardcore road racing..''BUT I COULD BE WRONG'' :idea: :machine:

MonzaRacer
11-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Clamp connections, no diagonal bracing, a lot of stress on a few fasteners (at least in double shear), just a lot of things I don't like about this product to be called a 'cage' - chassis stiffener, sure, 'cage' no.

Quote from Ridetech AD:
"Not only does this increased rigidity allow extra crash protection, it will allow the vehicles suspension to react more predictably to driver input.
Although every effort is made to optimize the crash protection benefits, please be aware that any crash protection that a TigerCage [or any other rollcage] may offer is strictly coincidental. It is impossible to guarantee any specific level of protection in a crash situation."

One big issue for any cage/roll bar is to stiffen/tie together a car, protection is an add on. At least now thats how we use them now for our sport, if you go road racing then you need a different DESIGN.
For a fella trying to tie a car together for some autocrossing, maybe small road track time, your much better off over the guy with NOTHING.

newbe60
01-12-2011, 07:12 PM
wondering if anyone has tried this product and if it will work on a convert?

chr2002ca
01-12-2011, 07:27 PM
I was very interested in one myself until I saw how damn pricey they are. It'd be nice if they offered them in standard steel to possibly have a lower price option. I could care less about the stainless cuz I'd just paint it black anyways. Great product and great idea though.

2blownstangs
01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I saw one at SEMA, nice but kinda too rich for my blood..