PDA

View Full Version : Roto Zip????

Little Bob
08-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know if thier is a metal blade for Roto Zips? I need something to cut a complicated hole. I don't have a Dremal or a plasma cutter.

Matt@RFR
08-25-2004, 09:41 AM
I have no idea what a roto zip is. What material are you cutting? If it's aluminum, just use a regular router. If it's steel or stainless, layout the hole and use a hand held die grinder.

Little Bob
08-25-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm cutting sheet metal on the rear 1/4. I want to do some custom flush mounted marker lights. But the shape has alot of complex curves.

Matt@RFR
08-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Can you use a jigsaw? It's hard to say without seeing exactly what you're doing, but I'd say a jigsaw to rough it out, then either a file or diegrinder to finish.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Matt,

A roto zip is like a big dremel. I think? :hmm:

68LSS1
08-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Matt,

A roto zip is like a big dremel. I think? :hmm:

Yes, that is what it is. However it has a attachment that makes it like a router. Do you have a Roto-Zip? I can't tell for sure. What you need is called a router bit. They come in different sizes. #1 being the smallest and I've only used up to a #3. I usually use a #2 as the #1's tend to break easy. I'm a aircraft mech and use them when cutting openings in aluminum. These things cut through .090 aluminum no problem and work very good on thin metal also. They look like drill bits in size but is more of a spiralled flute. So as it turns it cuts or routes. Pretty easy to control. I use them in Dotco's (air powered angled/straight grinders) and have used them in my Dremel. I have a cheap chucked straight drill that turns frickin high rpm and with the router bit cuts like crazy. Would definately work in a Roto-Zip (I'm assuming the collet is about the same size as a dremel). Also will work in any 1/4 chuck tool. Want to try one out let me know and I'll through one in a envelope for you. You can pick up cheap angled die grinders for $30.00 and that would give you something to finish sand to the cutout line using some sanding discs.

Jim Nilsen
08-26-2004, 08:49 PM
The Rotozip is a great tool , if you get one don't be shy or cheap and at least get the Revolution with the varible speed. You will have a much more versatile tool then. You can even use the Rotozip as a grinder with the Zipmate attachment. It is a variable speed grinder at that. It also will turn 15,000 rpm which most grinders only go 11,500 or about. As a die grinder it is awesome and you can get a cable attachement that will really make it easy to handle and get into tight places as good as the smallest Dremel or die grinder.

If you don't have the money to get the Rotozip I would recommend a Dremel. You can get many kits at various prices to suit anyones needs to complete the job.

You can save yourself a lot of time by drilling holes in the hard to control corners and curves and all along the the edge. A split point drill bit is recommended unless it is smaller than 3/32. Then go back with the cutoff tools and remove the area between the holes. Next go back in with a rotary grinding tip and do the finish detail to the scribed line you should have made to define the area. The drilling is done to try to reduce the amount of heat created with cutoff tool and get the center out of the way so you can get other tools in there. You don't have to use the drill if you don't want to but on very complicated designs it is very helpful. The smaller the holes and more of them can help a lot. It is time consuming but so is trying to fix a mistake. Ibelieve that there is a diamond cutting bit available to cut steel with the Rotozip but I have never use one yet and have always found tools like that are slower for progress and cause a lot of heat.

I truly recommend the Rotozip for everyone to have in the shop. It will do the same and more as a die grinder will and not cost the money to run and give you the noise that a compressor will give you. The Revolution Rotozip has as much torque as my air die grinder.

Goodluck on the marker lights.

Jim Nilsen

Matt@RFR
08-26-2004, 09:03 PM
What's the motor's amp rating?

Jim Nilsen
08-26-2004, 09:35 PM
The Rotozip Revolution that I have is 5.0 amps. The variable speed on it really works well too. It has more guts for its size than anything else.

I also really like the SEE through disc that attach to the Zipmate grinder , rotary cutoff tool for cutting even tile if you want.

The Revolution also comes with LED lights that really help see the work being done.

I haven't used my Ryobi 4 1/2 in. grinder since I got my Rotozip. It is so much more comfortable to handle you won't believe it !:poke: :getout:

Jim Nilsen

Matt@RFR
08-26-2004, 10:17 PM
5 amps is fairly peppie for a little tool. Sounds like they should hire you for their spokesman. :cheers:

Thanks a bunch for the info. I never looked into them after my experience with the dremel. :machine:

Little Bob
08-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Sorry for the delay on getting to the post. Thanks guys for the information and tips. I'm going to check out all of the add on's. The local Lowes has a large section for the Rotozips.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the flush mounted marker light fitted and surface prepped. :icon996: