PDA

View Full Version : Mopar B body Rack and pinion

Themisfitking
11-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a 66 Charger that I want to replace the steering on. I am considering the Unisteer Rack unit and an XV tilt Column. Anyone hear have any experience with a rack upgrade WITHOUT replacing the entire K frame?

Themisfitking
11-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Anyone?

High Plains Mopars
11-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Most of the feedback I've seen says the fitment isn't great, but tolerable. Biggest complaint is that turning radius will increase a decent amount because the rack does not have enough travel to mate up to the original steering geometry.

mrn2obelvedere
11-22-2009, 06:36 AM
I have heard about bump steer problems when you use rear steer spindles with a rack and pinion, although I am unsure why. I would be interested also, let me know what you find.

What would be really sweet IMO is a rack and pinion kit that kept the torsion bar arrangement.

mrn2obelvedere
11-22-2009, 06:39 AM
what sizes/offset wheels and tires are you running on that Charger? It looks very good with those wheels.

High Plains Mopars
11-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Bump steer issues are because the end links on the uni-steer rack are a different length than the tie rods on the original suspension, so they create a different arc of movement. Since most guys don't take the time to plot and correct this arc, the result is lotsa bump steer.

Bryce
11-22-2009, 07:24 AM
unisteer sucks for mustangs too. Header clearance issues and bumpsteer problems and an increase in turning radius.

mrn2obelvedere
11-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Bump steer issues are because the end links on the uni-steer rack are a different length than the tie rods on the original suspension, so they create a different arc of movement. Since most guys don't take the time to plot and correct this arc, the result is lotsa bump steer.

So then technically you could take a rack and pinion from just about anything and adapt it to my rear-steer mopar, as long as you extended or reduced the end links to match the length of the original drag link?

Bryce
11-23-2009, 06:27 AM
make sure it is a rear steer rack applications that you are taking the rack from. i think that is the GM j-car.

High Plains Mopars
11-23-2009, 08:07 AM
In simplest terms, yes, but you also have to deal with the length of the rack body, mounting height of the rack relative to the height of the steering arm, oil pan clearance, and torsion bar interference.