PDA

View Full Version : stereo help

Slow Ride
11-14-2009, 02:49 PM
OK, I picked up a new daily driver. It is an '05 GMC Sierra 1500 regular cab base model. Manual everything with rubber floors!!! The door speakers do not work, I don't know if it's the speakers or the head unit. Either way I'm replacing both. All of the stereo shops around here SUCK!!! I went around to them and most did not even talk to me, I walked out of 5 of them after 20-30 minutes, because all I got was the "someone will be right with you sir". Actually Best Buy and American were the only places I got any help, and then I was explaining how stuff worked and schooling the kids on car audio.

Here is my situation. I used to be into auto sound pretty hardcore, but got sick of it in the late '90's when it got to be less about the sound/install and more about how many TV's and other **** you could put in your ride. I sold pretty much everything I had. I know - STUPID!!! What I wouldn't give to have my numerous 225HCCA and 250HCCA amps, the Series 1 and 2 Orion 10" and 12" DVC subs, the Coustic XM-5e crossover, PPI 30 band 1/3 octave EQ's, Fultron Aria mids/tweets and all the other stuff. The only things I have left from those days is an old Eclipse 5302 head unit and some PG interconnects. I lost a awesome set of Eclipse 6.5" point source components when my wife traded in her car without telling me.

About 7 years ago I had a BMW that I did a crappy little system in. I have that stuff too.

The speakers are Image Dynamics CXS52 2 ohm 5.25" components that I have set up as point source.
http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-cxs52-component-system-p-124.html

The subs are a pair of 10" Memphis 15-PR104's.

The amps are a Memphis 16-ST100 for the highs(2 x 50 @ 4 ohms) and a Memphis 16-ST250D for the subs(125 x 1 @ 4 ohms and 250 x 1 @ 2 ohms)

I also have a Alpine CDA-9805.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_12963_Alpine_CDA-9805.aspx

HEAD UNIT
The opening in the dash is for a double DIN, but I think I only need a single. I don't need NAV or DVD. I need i-pod , but I want it to be built in and to plug into the back. I want to keep it a CD player and not just media with a changer. I'd like to have Blue Tooth, but it is not mandatory. RDS would be nice. I want 3 sets of high voltage preouts, so I can add another amp/speakers if I have to. Built in crossovers and an EQ are required. The Alpine sounds good, especially the imprint sound processor, but it's $300 then you add imprint and bluetooth for another $300. Too much. The Eclipse 5030 looks ok, but again add-ons $$$$. The JVC Arsenal line appear to be decent, but none of the single DIN stuff has all of the features I want. What else is out there? Clarion, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc...

FRONT STAGE
The doors take a 6.5"/6.75" speaker. I think because mine is a base model the door panels do not have provisions for a tweet. I'll probably have to surface mount one, or get a coax/point source setup. I listen to mainly metal and classic rock. I do however dig out the old school rap and techno. A bass CD or 2 has been known to be played LOL. So, I need tight and powerful midbass. The ID's I have now do not provide what I want. What are your suggestions with the width and length of a reg cab truck and the low power I'm running?

I found this sub box on the internet. Not many prefab boxes for later reg cabs. I'll get mine with the SIERRA on it.
http://www.subthump.com/gmre.htm

Taman
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
You can buy a kit that has a face plate that converts double to single din. Or put an EQ in the dash also. Crutchfield sells the required kits. If you have a multimeter you can measure the output , in AC, to see if you have a signal. Turn the volume up and down and check the voltage. It will be milli volts to a couple of volts. If both speakers are out it's most likely the head unit.

nekkidhillbilly
12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
you can also get dd that arent dvd or nav

however pioneer makes a dd dvd that is as cheap as most din units and works great

hifi875
12-21-2009, 07:39 PM
i would try either a alpine cda-9887 its the best sq cd player out there w ipod capability. it has burr/brown d/a convertors and 4v pre out. unless u want to tweak alot don't do the imprint. another cd player w alot of features is the pioneer deh6100. it has ipod w/built in bluetooth hp/lp xovers and 4v pre out(not as good as alpine 4v though). for highs get a set of jl audio c5 components for the front, for subs get a custom box for 2 jl 13 tw5 thin mount subs that sound great and are only 2.5 inches deep. for a amp get a jl 900/5 5 ch amp that is real small but real powerful. its the cleanest amp they have ever made, even better than the slash amps. you will also need a special wiring harness as your vehicle has no 12v ignition.