PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Bulkhead Routing

Mkelcy
11-11-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to route the HVAC lines in my '68 Camaro project. I'm using a VA Gen II Compac unit with the DSE bracket. I'd like to put a 4 way bulkhead plate where the old blower motor was, and that's pretty easy. What's stumping me is how to run lines from the bulkhead plate - which is in the cowl air plenum - to the Compac unit, which is in the interior of the car.

Pictures will help. This first shot shows where the bulkhead plate will be mounted - the bulkead will be mounted through the hole where you can see the 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock bluish portion of the blockoff plate. The large hole is sealed to and covered by the kick panel.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/11/interior2-1.jpg

Here's the interior of the car.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/11/interior1-1.jpg

I've got good access to the area above and to the rear of the bracket. I was thinking about using 3-10AN and 1-6AN 90 degree bulkhead connectors for the two heater lines and the high and low pressure AC lines, and them routing them to the Gen II unit, but I think I may be over complicating it.

My concerns are getting the lines through the interior bulkhead, while avoiding chafing the lines and sealing them from air leakage.

Any thoughts?

mroth
11-11-2009, 08:17 AM
I have talked to the Vintage air people and they told me to tell me what I want and they will hook me up as far as the fittings go.(Don't they always tell you that) Did you buy their heater cover plate? They made me think that you didn't need to do plumbing on the inside with their plate. I want to hide my lines under the fender using a firewall bulkhead and AN fittings. It will require new fittings from their unit and I get to make up my own hose. Was you car an original AC car?

Mike

Mkelcy
11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I have talked to the Vintage air people and they told me to tell me what I want and they will hook me up as far as the fittings go.(Don't they always tell you that) Did you buy their heater cover plate? They made me think that you didn't need to do plumbing on the inside with their plate. I want to hide my lines under the fender using a firewall bulkhead and AN fittings. It will require new fittings from their unit and I get to make up my own hose. Was you car an original AC car?

Mike

I've got their old Sure-Fit kit on my '68 Camaro driver, and used their setup for that install. On this one, I want to hide the lines more than their setup allows. The 4 way manifold will go to the left of the fender bolt location and above the dimple as seen below:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/11/exterior1v-1.jpg

41565 chevelle
11-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I say skip the bulkhead and run your lines through the firewall via grommets to the ac system. Prodigy has a pic on here, search for it, it is clean, simple, no leaks at the bulkhead and no fighting to get wrenches and knuckles where they were not intended to go. I plan on doing that on my ride, jmho.....Good luck!

41565 chevelle
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Frank- VA Bulkhead Question
Frank- What size A/C hoses did you run for Empty Nest? I decided not to use the bulkhead fitting on the VA system and drilled out the holes to 1" and installed grommets, problem is that the I.D. is only 11/16" and all of the hoses with the system seem to be closer to 1". Even a 5/8" heater hose would not fit through that hole. I was thinking of having some hardlines made to pass through the holes, but thought I would ask you first. Maybe all I need is a different type of grommet? Thanks.

1971 Camaro, LT1, 4L60E

Vegas69
11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm going the hidden bulkhead route myself. I plan to space mine out enough where it's easy to tighten them on the engine side. On the interior, I'll make the hoses long enough that I can hook them up to the bulkheads and unit. The I'll attach the unit to the car. I just don't see how you can get a good air tight seal with grommets and 10 AN fittings. Then again, these cars are so damn noisy I'm not sure they need to be perfect. I'll still go the bulkhead route.

CarlC
11-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Mike, I posted something on your Project Updates post.

Mkelcy
11-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Mike, I posted something on your Project Updates post.

Thanks, I saw it there. Good idea.

Mkelcy
11-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I finally saw the nose on my face: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=598309&postcount=55