PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pro touring wheels at a good price. Need help

chevyguy6993
11-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I HAVE A 69 CAMARO THAT HAS 15X12 WHEELS ON THE BACK NOW WITH 3 1/4 BACKSPACING. I AM WANTING TO GO TO THE PRO TOURING LOOK AND I WAS WONDERING WHERE IS THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO HAVE WHEELS MADE FOR THE CAR AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY USED ONES WITH THAT KIND OF BACKSPACING FOR SALE. THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE, opps just looked up and don't wanna retype sorry for the caps. my email is [email protected]

cheapthrillz
11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
China..... if all you are trying to achieve is the "Look".

formula
11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE SO INCONSIDERATE AS TO NOT EVEN TAKE THE TIME TO TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK AND RETYPE YOUR MESSAGE WHAT MAKES YOU THINK ANYONE ELSE IS GOING TO TAKE THEIR TIME TO HELP YOU?

oops, just looked up and saw that I was a jerk. Sorry, don't wanna retype it.

Check ebay or use the search button.

cheapthrillz
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
In all seriousness though, I would post this over at Corner-carvers.com. Those guys will point you in the right direction....

chevyguy6993
11-08-2009, 06:40 PM
guess I got off to a bad start here.

cheapthrillz
11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
guess I got off to a bad start here.
I would recommend that you take a few minutes to search for the answer to the question you just asked.... familiarize yourself with this site, and if you STILL cannot find the answer, then post a thread like this. Remember you can always post a question into a similar thread and usually receive the answer you are looking for. Also, introduce yourself and tell us about your project. We get pissed when people come and just start making redundant threads on their first post....

Welcome to the site...

jag4902
11-09-2009, 05:37 AM
hell dont worry about it. most of us "old guys" do the same thing all the time. at least we get our point across.

this is about cars and not typing.

my2cents.

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Thanks!

cheapthrillz
11-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Pro-touring is not a "look". Please read this thread:https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11764

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Man what is your problem? I have 4 wheel disc brakes, tubular a arms, I can drive the car anywhere, it has full interior. I am looking for some advice on some wheels. What is the big deal? It is like you own the site and I am doing something wrong. I thought it was a place to meet other people who like cars and get advice and talk about cars Not if someone uses caps. I am sure my car is not even close to most of the people on this site but it is mine and I like it. If I am wrong and I am bothering you and you do own the site kick me off. Otherwise get off my case. I don't mean to be smart but I just asked for advice and you have been on my case since I started.

Mkelcy
11-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Man what is your problem? I have 4 wheel disc brakes, tubular a arms, I can drive the car anywhere, it has full interior. I am looking for some advice on some wheels. What is the big deal? It is like you own the site and I am doing something wrong. I thought it was a place to meet other people who like cars and get advice and talk about cars Not if someone uses caps. I am sure my car is not even close to most of the people on this site but it is mine and I like it. If I am wrong and I am bothering you and you do own the site kick me off. Otherwise get off my case. I don't mean to be smart but I just asked for advice and you have been on my case since I started.

LOL, if you can drive your car, it may be well ahead of a lot of cars on this site.

Anyway, I've found C5 Corvette wheels with adapters to be a pretty decent low cost option. You can generally get the wheels for about $400 and the adapters are $200 to $300 for a set of 4. Any aftermarket wheels are going to be in the $1,200 to "how much money do you have?" range.

smooth68
11-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Dont worry about FORMULA's comments....Get in touch with DSE, Drivers Inc., or Frank at Prodigy, they are very helpful, and keep your eyes open on this site...Once in a while someone will list wheels for sale here at a reasonable price also chech at Lateral-g.net if you have'nt already!...Good luck, show us the pics when you get your new wheels!

Also check out tire-rack.com

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks, I am looking to spend between $1500 and $2500 for wheels and tires.

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the helpful info. I will post pics when I find some wheels and get them put on.

cheapthrillz
11-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Hey man, sorry... I am not trying to push you away from this site. This site is awesome and can be a great place to meet people and learn. I was trying to help you out by recommending the proper way of approaching this forum and topic.

It seems that as of late, many of the new members would rather just ask a question than take the time to search for their answer. Kind of like an instant gratification deal I guess. I'm sorry for the smart ass comments that I made. A lot of it was me venting, combined with your poorly detail 1st post, which made you sound like the only thing that you wanted us to answer for you was what cheap wheels you should get for your '68 Camaro (which is a Topic that comes up daily).

It seems like you have an awesome car, and like I said, we would love for you to start a build thread telling us all about it. Please introduce yourself and I will go ahead say "Welcome" again. Sorry for venting on you. Best of luck!

formula
11-09-2009, 08:26 AM
ok fine so maybe I came off too harsh--there are just a lot of people who come on these days with the wrong attitude and mindset, and I guess I've gotten callused against them.

I wasn't trying to say that building on a budget was a bad idea, or that your car wasn't pro-touring. If it stops, goes, and turns better than stock, it's pro-touring. We just run into a lot of people who have stock suspension, stock brakes, and are looking for the big-wheels look without the performance that goes behind it, oftentimes so they can capitalize on the popularity of the trend to take advantage of someone who really cares about performance but doesn't know yet what they're looking at.

On second pass, I jumped the gun and lumped you in with the wrong crowd.

So I'M SORRY.

As for whether this board is about cars or typing, That's a gross generalization. Of course the site is about cars--but i, for one, think that keeping a level of professionalism--even in written conversation-- makes the transfer of information easier and more efficient. You wouldn't walk into any place in real life completely uninformed, yelling at the top of your lungs, would you guys? You wouldn't send a letter or email to a company in all caps and without researching what you were asking about a little, would you guys?

I don't know, maybe that's just me. Either way, I'll say again, I'm sorry for jumping the gun.

Now then, seriously, I wasn't trying to be mean about using the search function and ebay. I'm sure you know that your car is on a 5x4.75 bolt pattern, and I'm not positive on the backspacing, but I know that with some adapter plates, you can make 3rd/4th gen f-body, and 4th/5th/6th gen vette wheels fit no problem. Another option is takeoff BMW wheels--they're not quite a perfect fit, so be prepared to check your lugs etc often, and you'll probably need spacers or adapters there too.

Then, I'd look through this thread and see if you see anything you like. You can also probably use this thread to get a good idea of exactly what size you need, as there are several camaros in here with backspacing, etc listed.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59716&highlight=camaro+wheels

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 08:26 AM
I have read over 100 threads on here and I couldn't find anything. Well I found a few dealers but not what I am looking for. Thanks!

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks man No problem, I have searched all over Ebay. My wheels are dished way out. It has a narrowed 9 inch with wilwood disc brakes on the rear. the 12 inch wheels that are on it now have 3 1/4 backspacing and about 7 3/4 out They may be a 13 inch wheel but I never heard of a 13 inch wide wheel. I know I am gonna have to have the back wheels special made I am just looking for the lowest cost. I am looking to spend between $1500 and $2500 for wheels and tires.

Tony_SS
11-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Jeez, how about we lighten up on the guy?

Anyway...

I've always liked Coys wheels and they're priced within your budget.

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
I like them also. I had a 69 with coys but coy only makes a 10 inch wheel so I have been told and I need at least a 11 or 12 because the rear end is so narrow.

cheapthrillz
11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Without knowing the specifications of your car, we cannot help you as to the best of our ability.

Questions that may help:

What is your front and rear suspension setup?

Is your rear-end stock?

What diameter wheels are you wanting to go with?

Is your car tubbed or mini-tubbed?

Are you looking for new or used wheels?

As for wheel brands, I would say that Coy offers very good "looking" wheels that are affordable. But I would also look through our sponsor list and call all of the ones that might sell wheels, tell them your budget, and see what they can do for you.

EDIT - Wow I type slow! lol By the time I finished, there were 4 new posts...

formula
11-09-2009, 08:42 AM
hmmmm.....with that much space in the back.....look at CCW. They should be able to custom-set your backspacing, and aren't too bad on price. Got some nice styles, too. Also there may be some companies that can widen whatever wheels you buy--they just cut the hoop and weld it back together.

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks, It is stock front end 69 camaro with tubular upper A-ams, the rear is mini tubbed with a 9 inch ford leaf springs moved in, stock rear frame rails, wheels on it now are 15x12 with 3 1/4 backspacing and 7 3/4 out, like I said may be a 13 inch wide wheel bit I have never heard of a 13 inch wide. Also has wilwood disc brakes on the rear. If you need more info on it just ask. Like I said I need all the help I can get and thanks for the help so far.

cheapthrillz
11-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks, It is stock front end 69 camaro with tubular upper A-ams, the rear is mini tubbed with a 9 inch ford leaf springs moved in, stock rear frame rails, wheels on it now are 15x12 with 3 1/4 backspacing and 7 3/4 out, like I said may be a 13 inch wide wheel bit I have never heard of a 13 inch wide. Also has wilwood disc brakes on the rear. If you need more info on it just ask. Like I said I need all the help I can get and thanks for the help so far.

You can use these to calculate the wheel size that will fit:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...all/index.html (http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/72978_chevrolet_wide_tire_install/index.html)

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52364&highlight=wheelrite

Yes...... I did just quote myself lol. Don't laugh at me...

Nine Ball
11-09-2009, 09:04 AM
If you are wheel shopping, I'd be happy to help you. Wheels that width will require 3-piece construction if you want to make it simple. Otherwise, 2-piece wheels can be widened to make a 12" hoop. That gets costly however. Take a moment and browse through my links in my signature below, the lower priced 3-piece wheels will probably be iForged. Email me when you are ready for a quote, I just need the style, sizing, widths, finish you want.

Email: Tony (at) Motorsports-Media (dot) com

Thanks

11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
With the backspacing that you are going to need it will more than likely need to be a custom set of wheels. Alot of good sponsors on this site can help you with wheels. They will probably chime in at some point but remember SEMA is going on so most of them are probably out. I would go through a few threads to look for companies like driverzinc or prodigy. I don't want to leave anyone out though so look at the sponsor links as well and check out what everyone offers. Ultimately it comes down to your personal taste and budget. Don't be afraid to give some of these sponsors a call too. Sometimes a phone call will give you the best idea of what they can offer and how they are to deal with. Newstalgia Wheels has alot of wheels to choose from also and a good web site.

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I have talked to the guys at Newstalgia (http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/)wheels. They have the best price I have gotten so far but I wanna look a little more before I buy, Thanks I will check out the other ones.

454ragtop
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Because no one else mentioned it, I'd like to add that if your measurements are accurate, you actually have 10" wide wheels (add the front space to the back space and subtract 1"). Also, I had a really bad experience trying to buy Coys wheels (see sig). Others have had good luck, although how I don't know. Good luck, Jim.

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 05:27 PM
They are wrong and the bad thing is I ordered a set of wheels today and I don't think they will fit. I don't know what I was thinking. I wrote the measurments down but I thought I remembered them,. Shows what getting old will do. They are 4 1/4 backspacing and 8 1/4 out. I ordered a 17x11 with 3 inch back spacing they are gonna stick out to far.

FirstGenZq8
11-09-2009, 08:04 PM
you can get centerline wheels and tires on your $2500 budget. add $700 and you can have CCW 3 PC wheels w/ tires.

chevyguy6993
11-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I ordered a set of Torq thrust wheels today and I got the back spacing wrong I am gonna call 1st thing in the morning and see if I can change it. Also I did not order tires anyone know what is a good size in 17 I want as wide and as tall as I can get on the back and still be wide on the 11 inch rim them I just want the front to be the same height. I am putting 8's on the front. Thanks You guys for all the help.

chevyguy6993
07-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I got my wheels on. I now need to sell it due to over spending...lol It will not let me post it here For Sale if anyone needs it my # is 731-616-6022

PRRC
07-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Just back from Columbus show and a little late to the thread, But we would be happy to help. Check our web site for pricing or just give us a call.
Jim

PRRC
07-13-2010, 04:58 AM
opps, just finished ready all the post. really late to the thread. good luck with the sale.

SicMonte
07-13-2010, 05:47 AM
hmmmm.....with that much space in the back.....look at CCW. They should be able to custom-set your backspacing, and aren't too bad on price. Got some nice styles, too. Also there may be some companies that can widen whatever wheels you buy--they just cut the hoop and weld it back together.

I like your thinking!! CCW's are the shiznit! :cheers:

Riderz Cycle
07-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Good luck looks like I'm late also

chevyguy6993
07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I already have the wheels and tires now. I am looking to sale the car but Thanks for the info.

redwing
12-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I HAVE A 69 CAMARO THAT HAS 15X12 WHEELS ON THE BACK NOW WITH 3 1/4 BACKSPACING. I AM WANTING TO GO TO THE PRO TOURING LOOK AND I WAS WONDERING WHERE IS THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO HAVE WHEELS MADE FOR THE CAR AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY USED ONES WITH THAT KIND OF BACKSPACING FOR SALE. THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE, opps just looked up and don't wanna retype sorry for the caps. my email is [email protected]

Check out Billet specialties Street Smart Series. That's what I would get.

sanman
12-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Try www.showheels.com Love them on my 67.

AButler
12-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Wholly **** do we not read dates on threads come on guys

Redrocker1958
04-06-2016, 01:43 PM
IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE SO INCONSIDERATE AS TO NOT EVEN TAKE THE TIME TO TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK AND RETYPE YOUR MESSAGE WHAT MAKES YOU THINK ANYONE ELSE IS GOING TO TAKE THEIR TIME TO HELP YOU?

oops, just looked up and saw that I was a jerk. Sorry, don't wanna retype it.

Check ebay or use the search button.

My first post and it to point out a rude *******..what a shame..did it hurt your eyes?

nacnac
04-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Welcome to the site. And I agree with your assessment. they were snobbish douche bags. I think those are the exceptions and not the rule.