PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Taillights and no back up lights, is it legal?

1968Maro
11-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I have a 1968 Camaro, I want to throw the Fesler built 1967 RS tailights into it. (just like bad penny).

My question is, will a car pass inspection in Texas without back up lights?????

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp_0708_1968_chevy_camaro/photo_07.html

mroth
11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I am trying to do the same to my 67 here in Colorado. We have only emmision testing here. I asked the same question at Motor Vehicle and that said not likely but if an officer wanted to be a butthead he cold ding you on "anything" that was not stock for that year. Stay cool when it's out on the road and it probably won't be a problem. Mike

Tom 72RS/SS
11-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Of all the years I've had to get inspections, I've never ever seen anyone check the backup lights. I'd say do it.

Steve1968LS2
11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
What are back up lights? lol

I've never ran them.. never had a problem. IMO they are for lazy and inattentive people. ;)

On my old '67 I put two small white LEDs in the bottom of the rear bumper. That way there were technically back up lights but when off you really didn't notice they were there. Just an idea.

derekf
11-05-2009, 03:56 AM
My question is, will a car pass inspection in Texas without back up lights?????You'd have to find an inattentive or bribeable inspector, it's part of what they're supposed to be checking for.

John Wright
11-05-2009, 05:07 AM
When I get my annual inspections here in VA, they check the B/U lights. I have had them on a toggle switch before and just tried to make it look natural, like they came on when I shifted into "R"....LOL

Jim Nilsen
11-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Steves idea with the led's is a good way to go.
You can even get bumper bolts now with led's in them that would possibly be bright enough to pass.

I have to say that when you think you don't need them you will find that you just backed into that low post and wish you had them. they put them on for a reason, DARKNESS. On a night with no moon and clouds they come in really handy in parking lots. When you are backing up and the other people in the lot see the lights they know you are backing up, if you have no lights they may just run into you and then you will be the one at fault for not having them.

Think of them as more of a warning that you are backing up instead of being able to see and you will find the benefit of just the led's. How many times have you been behind a car and all of a sudden the backup lights come on and knew to get out of the way?

Take the time to hook up the wires that are already there and you will be happier someday for it.

1968Maro
11-05-2009, 07:29 AM
I like the idea of of mounting LEDs under the bumper, allows me to keep the look, but still comply. Am I the only one who is still trying to get my head around 1000$ for tailights! (after you purchase all the housing, lights, harness, etc.)

Steve,

I got to looking at that picture in the chevy performance magazine, where you running a stock dash then?

derekf
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Just remember that when they do the inspection - at least in the Dallas area - it's not you in the car triggering the lights, so the switch like John had won't do.

1968Maro
11-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Couldn't you just run it right off of the existing reverse light wire and switch? It would keep working just like the original, just mounted in a differn't place

68Formula
11-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Just remember that when they do the inspection - at least in the Dallas area - it's not you in the car triggering the lights, so the switch like John had won't do.

So a little remote switch and watch the operator...:1st:

smhigh
11-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm going to look into the LED bumper bolts.....
I'm really happy with the look of my Fesler tail lights w/o back up lights!

With the exhaust as loud as it is now they'll hear me before seeing me back up anyways.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/11/DSCN02011-1.jpg