PDA

View Full Version : Distibutor Wiring Issues

1966elco
11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey Guys kinda a newby to the chevy's but here goes. I just took my distributor out of my small block to install a new carb and intake manifold. I took all the steps in order to do it right but I have two wires that are coming out of the distibutor and have no clue where they go and I have installed the coil wires. but the funny thing is if I take one of the wires off my positive off the coil it doesnt spit fuel out the top. I know I am hooking up everything just the way it came off but now the carb is sending fuel straight up in the air. I found tdc thats all good spark plug wires are in the right places and so is the rotor for the distributor any help would be great.

1966elco
11-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I do know that the wires i am mentioning one is coming from the distibutor and the other the fire wall. If i hook uo the one that is coming from the fire wall it spits fuel through the carb if I take it off and hook up the other it doesn't.

6'9"Witha69
11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
??? Do you have an Electric fuel pump? The 2 wires from dist to Coil are the pos and negative feeds. there shoudl also be a keyed hot pos feed fromthe main fuse bulkhead to the coil. I don't see how connecting a wire could ever cause fuel issues unless someone used the keyed power @ the coil to run a relay to the fuel pump. Also, if you have a tach it runs to the neg. side of the coil.

More info on your setup is definitely needed.

68nate
11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Firing order is wrong or the timing is WAY advanced. Definitely need more information on the wires in question. What kind of distributor?

1966elco
11-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I have a points distibutor now I am getting a new hei tomorrow to help clear up some issues. I have a mechanical pump on it. I also found out what the wires were to. Oh and the timing is still off.

JEFFTATE
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
You may have the distributor installed 180' out or a tooth off.
You may have the plugwires hooked up wrong.
Sounds like the ignition timing is way off and it's spitting back through the carb.

BE CAREFUL !!!

Don't ignite this fuel coming out of the carb. !!!!
You could have a nasty fire !!!!!