PDA

View Full Version : Spool rear end, I don't like it.

Moabdude
11-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I bought a 72 Camaro which has a spool rear end. Both wheels make the same rotations at all times.
It is a stock 10 bolt.
I don't like this at all.
Also I think this spool will break my axels because if I drive slowly and make a turn the inner wheel wrings a lot.

What can I do and what will it cost?

Yoda4561
11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
What are you going to use it for? The best differential for steet use is probably the truetrac. They have lots of applications for GM, they cost around 500-600 USD + installation fee at your local shop. You could also order a moser 12 bolt with one pre-installed for around 2 grand. Moser has a new option for the 9 inch ford rear called a wavetrac, which from all reports is the ideal performance differential for everything but high level drag racing, a bit more expensive though. The spool is unlikely to break your axles, though it will wear your tires out if you turn alot. Spools are basically for dragstrip use only, and maybe a short trip to the dragstrip if the car is driven there.

Twentyover
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Need to replace with a differential- ether an open or a limited slip.

May be easier and cheaper to replace the entire rear if you want an open dif- maybe $100-200

If you want a limited slip, they run between 4-600 bucks and maybe another 200 to install. Best add new pinion and carrier bearings while you're in there....

MonzaRacer
11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
1-800-309-9342 EXT 110 Mike Maddox at West Coast Differentials, give him a shout, he can hook you up with install kit and center section.
I have tried to deal with other people other than Moser I have best luck with these guys on parts.
Since Moser is in Indiana I would get completes from them as I live here.
At work I am rebuilding a rear end from a 06 Ranger with trashed spiders, ordered everything but left hand axle for $643 plus $53.something in shipping.
Center section was around $250ish. for a 7.5 Ford, heck I got a Ford Motorsport posi for an 8.8 few years back for $175!
Mike will hook you up.
Trick for install is good torque wrench, and dial indicator. swap gear to posi with new bearings, use shim kit to achieve proper back lash then add recommended extra shims to each side for preload on bearings and torque the caps(keep in order of side to side and top/bottom) add your self a good preload rear cover, refill with gear lube and enjoy the drive. If you use synthetic gear oil you usually dont need limited slip additive, if using non-synth, add a bottle of additive then gear oil.

Mike Holleman
11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
I bought a 72 Camaro which has a spool rear end. Both wheels make the same rotations at all times.
It is a stock 10 bolt.
I don't like this at all.
Also I think this spool will break my axels because if I drive slowly and make a turn the inner wheel wrings a lot.

What can I do and what will it cost?

I recently had a extra third member built with a spool just for LSR use. They do suck for anything other than straight line. Manuvering around in the pits is a major PITA. Makes the suspension bind up and all kinds of creaks and pops. Forget any tight turns. Ain't gonna happen. I also recommend Tru Trac.
Mike