PDA

View Full Version : Another surge tank plumbing question.

rb70383
10-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Sorry, been reading up on surge tanks, and I have some questions.

Ok see if this setup will work.

I plan on running the stock tank, 3/8 pickup, main line to the mechanical pump, from there to the surge tank mounted on the rad support (walbro 255lp), then to parallel rails, regulator after rails, back to surge tank then another 3/8 line back to tank. I want to keep this simple and since the mech pump now works fine it should be enough to keep the surge filled. Should be about 500hp. Slightly inflated but using it to design a safety margin for the fuel system. It will be in a 70 Challenger with a 451.

I dont see any problem with the surge tank on the rad support, of course mounted out of the hot airflow. worse case I will mount it on the front side in the cool air flow from driving.

GetMore
10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Doesn't sound like you'll have any issues.
The only thing I don't know about is the capacity of the mechanical pump. As long as it'll pull enough fuel, especially during a full-throttle run from a dead stop.

rb70383
10-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Looking at the holley mech is 110 gph @ 6-8psi

Chevy Kid
10-30-2009, 12:50 AM
You'll be fine. That's the way some of the rockcrawler guys do theirs. Any stock mechanical pump will work fine. The engine uses less fuel than you think.

I have a rear mounted surge tank with two pumps and it works great. Mine is only a stock TBI daily driver, though.

Tim