PDA

View Full Version : shrifter install

gEtyOpAPiOn
04-09-2005, 08:56 PM
well thanks to Steve *streetfytr68* in helping me get my shrifter setup now i have one more thing to mess with and it would be nice if someone in here that has done the setup on a ls1 engine to give me some tips as in shift points settings thanks

Steve Chryssos
04-11-2005, 04:36 AM
well thanks to Steve *streetfytr68* in helping me get my shrifter setup now i have one more thing to mess with and it would be nice if someone in here that has done the setup on a ls1 engine to give me some tips as in shift points settings thanks

Steve Rupp has done the swap on his 69, so he can provide personal feedback. But remember the beauty of a computer controlled transmission is that you can tune shift points to your exact vehicle demands and personal preferences--and that's for every shift at every rpm under every condition. Try that with a shift kit.

So wide open shift points should be set right at peak horsepower for your engine. You can go one or two hundred rpm past peak to take advantage of the momentum. Of course this applies to automatic mode. When in manual mode, you will set your brain (or shift light) appropriately. ...And make sure you have a rev limiter!!! Manual mode is the same as having a manual transmission.

Now part throttle shifts are all about YOUR personal preferences. Wanna hold 2nd gear a little longer when drivinng around town? Just pop open the part throttle shift tables and adjust.

Note that the base map (or even my 500HP/3150 lb car's map) will be good enough to get you going. You can adjust from there.

Steve Chryssos
04-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Okay,
This is usually the point where someone asks the following:
"Well how can I, in manual mode, ever shift better than a computer?"

And the answer is:
In performance driving situations, the computer will shift better than you under perfect conditions. Perfect conditions means straight line (linear positive) acceleration with perfect traction.
Under all other circumstances: limited or poor traction, on/off throttle applications such as a winding road, zero throttle situations (braking and preparing for the next on throttle application).

For example:
400RWHP PT car with leaf springs and a 275/40 tire. Sounds like a traction problem right? Leave the transmission in automatic mode and go WOT. The computer will see exaggerated wheel speed and shift! You will lift or feather the throttle to compensate for wheelspin and the computer will see a drop in throttle position. What does the computer do? Based on your part throttle shift tables it may shift. Next thing you know, the car's shifted twice; it's in 3rd gear at 35mph and the car is a dog.

Now same circumstances in manual mode. When wheel spin occurs, you feather the throttle but the gear is held until you decide to shift And the same logic applies if you lift and get back into the throttle.