PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my Procharger Hooked up.. and going..

WELTERRACER
04-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Waited 3 weeks for my power steering pump relocation kit before i finally got fed up and made my own brackets.. AND STILL NEVER GOT THE BRACKETS (to later figure out they wouldnt have worked anyways)

The kit i ordered is what i consider a not very well engineered system... The company is unsure if parts will fit... and they should include the power steering pump pulley with a saginaw kit as alot of older chevys have double groove pulleys that wont fit..(the right pulley is hard to find)

My kit i got came with the wrong belt.. WOULD EVEN FIT without the tensioner... I called ATI and they wouldnt give me my money back for the belt but if i told them the belt size i need they would send me a new belt.. ONLY after i send the old belt back.. They seem very clueless when you talk to them on the phone..

I had tried to order a 5.5 inch pulley so i could run on pump gas.. only to get a call 3 days later saying .. OOPS we dont make that pulley any more.. (their answer to my problem... JUST DONT REV IT AS HIGH!) DAAAAA..... what kind of answer is that..

Anyways... I got it up and running.. Only running 30 degrees total timing to start, on pump gas... engine will only spin about 5500 rpms..

Before with the engine naturally asperated.. it would spin threw first and half way into second gear... NOW with the Blower on, with the timing not even adjusted, the car can litterly smoke the tires in third gear at a rolling speed , just mash the gas and the tires start to spin..

I took a guy from work for a ride.. (he drives a Acura integra which he thinks is fast) and all i can say is, He grabbed the Dash for dear life and yelled.. OOOO MY GOD... He said... THIS THING IS CRAZY FAST..

All this and i dont even have the timing added back in.. and its only running about 7lbs of boost..(im guessing its making about 550hp)

This kit makes AWSOME power no doubt... I think the owners of ATI who sell it, need better TECHs on the phone as they couldnt hardly tell you **** when you ask a question.. The kit needs more refinement and options for parts..

I cant wait to get some race fuel so i can give it some timing to really turn up the fun..

Brian..

P.S. .... I Broke the harmonic balancer.. THis is the second time its happed to me.. the balancer split aroung the crank and basically exploded..

(anyone know why i am having a problem with my balancers splitting on me?)

I will in the future buy a remote resivoir pump and relocation kit for the pump ... ONLY AFTER I DO MORE RESEARCH!!

Brian.... BIG THANKS TO FRANK FROM PRODOGY!! (he is more help than anyone from ATI)

ProdigyCustoms
04-09-2005, 05:32 PM
I am glad to hear it hauls ass, but sorry I could not do more with ATI. Glad i could help, Call me if you need me.

Blown353
04-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Been there, done that with ATI and their (lack of) tech support. They are worthless on a *good* day.

The only way to get decent support is to buy from and work with a dealer who knows their stuff, because ATI is worthless.

They took over 9 months to give me a credit for an incorrect power steering bracket.

You don't want their power steering bracket anyways, it's junk. Just like their A/C and alternator bracket which I have. It was a piece of crap out of the box, constantly blowing up belts. It required quite a bit of work to function properly-- I had to fab some additional bracing, make my own pulleys to convert it to serpentine, and fab a screw tensioner for the belt.

Their blower bracket also needs bracing (a bit too flexible, but if you run a brace from the back of the bracket to the side of the cylinder head and it's OK), and their stock static tensioner for the blower isn't too good either (convert it to spring tensioner, and you're good.)

The supercharger itself is a good unit... but most of their peripheral accessories/brackets are crap IMO. Let's not forget the bolts they provide are usually the wrong diameter and length and you have to go out and pick up more.

I live in fear of the day I have to send my head unit back to ATI for a rebuild... who knows what they'll do, if they'll do it right, how long it will take and how much they will charge.

colt zantop
04-09-2005, 05:52 PM
sounds like its awesome! whats the estimated HP now??

WELTERRACER
04-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Been there, done that with ATI and their (lack of) tech support. They are worthless on a *good* day.

The only way to get decent support is to buy from and work with a dealer who knows their stuff, because ATI is worthless.

They took over 9 months to give me a credit for an incorrect power steering bracket.

You don't want their power steering bracket anyways, it's junk. Just like their A/C and alternator bracket which I have. It was a piece of crap out of the box, constantly blowing up belts. It required quite a bit of work to function properly-- I had to fab some additional bracing, make my own pulleys to convert it to serpentine, and fab a screw tensioner for the belt.

Their blower bracket also needs bracing (a bit too flexible, but if you run a brace from the back of the bracket to the side of the cylinder head and it's OK), and their stock static tensioner for the blower isn't too good either (convert it to spring tensioner, and you're good.)

The supercharger itself is a good unit... but most of their peripheral accessories/brackets are crap IMO. Let's not forget the bolts they provide are usually the wrong diameter and length and you have to go out and pick up more.

I live in fear of the day I have to send my head unit back to ATI for a rebuild... who knows what they'll do, if they'll do it right, how long it will take and how much they will charge.

I dont like the tensioner either.. it is spring loaded but the key to getting it to not jump off is to tighten it till the point there is no more spring tension.. VERY TIGHT!!

I think the small power steering pump with the remote resivoiur will work well.. BUT I NOTICED THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE WHERE TO GET THE TANK OR THE HOSES.. ... If you are going to sell one part you should sell it all.

WELTERRACER
04-09-2005, 06:11 PM
sounds like its awesome! whats the estimated HP now??

Right now im guessing its making 550hp.. but when i get some race fuel and adjust the timing up to 36 degree total timing and get the whole 10psi of boost... it should make 680-690hp if the engine holds together..

Its still got the stock crank and rods..

zbugger
04-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Its still got the stock crank and rods..
lol.... For a couple more days, at least!!!

Blown353
04-09-2005, 08:12 PM
I dont like the tensioner either.. it is spring loaded but the key to getting it to not jump off is to tighten it till the point there is no more spring tension.. VERY TIGHT!!

I think the small power steering pump with the remote resivoiur will work well.. BUT I NOTICED THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE WHERE TO GET THE TANK OR THE HOSES.. ... If you are going to sell one part you should sell it all.

As far as ATI's tensioner, the best thing to do is convert it to use a GM spring tensioner normally used on their serpentine drives. I have this conversion on my bracket; here's a pic. (http://home.comcast.net/~procharged69/pictures/blower/on_motor.jpg) Scott @ SD Concept Engineering did it for me. I have zero belt slip issues at 15 psi of boost, I only had to readjust the tensioner after the first 10 minutes of belt run in and I haven't touched it for the last 6000 miles of use. It's a nice setup!

As far as the small power steering pump, DO NOT BUY ATI'S BRACKETS. They offer 2 versions for the small pumps-- one swivels for tensioning, and one uses an idler pulley. The swiveling bracket flexes so much the belt slips and squeals like mad when you turn the steering wheel at idle and load the pump, and their bracket with the idler pulley blows up the V-belt about every 500 miles. The best option is to build your own, which is what I did. You have to, because nobody except ATI makes a bracket for their oddball pulley spacing setup. You will need ATI's power steering pulley, but make your own bracket. I did out of some plate aluminum, spacers, and rods ends and a turnbuckle for tension adjustment. Works great.

The small pump, remove reservoir, and hoses are easy to get; Street and Performance has everything you'd need, and you can easily fab your own hoses.

Oh, and uh, take pictures of your setup! We love pics. :seizure:

Troy

WELTERRACER
04-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Here is the pictures you requested...

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=popup&image=https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=824