PDA

View Full Version : need help for my fuel system for my blown LSX

67 ls1 vert
10-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Looking at trying to do this with out going to Ricks SS Tank. The price is just more than I want to spend when I need to spend it on other things to complete my project.

I was thinking if I go with a new factory style tank for my 67 camaro and add a sump to it. I have a stroker LS engine with a KB on top that the builder said it should put out somewhere in the range of 900. So, I have been looking at aeromotive fuel system and it looks like with the filters and pump it's around $1000, and that's with out the tank!

Is there a way to do an external pump like a BG, walbro, Mallory, Holley, etc... for my LSX? It seems like they are much cheaper but I know the draw back will the external noise of the pump. Is there a good internal pump that I can adapt to a factory style fuel tank with a sump? I never see anyone doing an outside pump with their LSX engines.

Give me some idea's please.

Thanks.

camcojb
10-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I think 900 hp is optimistic, but nevertheless it'll make very good power. A sump alone isn't going to be enough for EFI unless you're just talking straight line stuff. With any type of cornering you'll be uncovering the pickup unless you keep the tank full all the time. In my opinion, the last thing to shortcut on a blown efi setup is the fuel system................... a couple "nose overs" where you're at wot and the pickup is uncovered and leans the engine out is about all it'll take to lose the whole deal.

Jody

dipren443
10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Second what Jody says... The LAST thing you want to do is potentially starve a blown motor. Lean that sucker out and watch the carnage unfold... Make sure that will not be the case.

67 ls1 vert
10-24-2009, 07:02 PM
so if I use some sort of baffling set up in the tank I may okay? What about a good fuel set up? Any suggestions?

Yes the car is mainly set up for auto xing.

formula
10-24-2009, 10:37 PM
It seems like the best way to cheat the system I've found is to do a surge tank setup--but it really is cheating, you will not get as good of results as you would with a properly set up fuel tank.

I tried to cheap out and go with an easier external setup and am looking every way I can to figure out a less expensive solution, but at the end of the day the right way to do it may be the only way to do it.