PDA

View Full Version : T-56 matting alternative

zuess4u
04-09-2005, 03:17 PM
OK, we have our retainer bearing back from the machine, and will be fitting stuff together this week,

Tyler, and anyone else into T-56 stuff, Not sure if you know or not, but if wanted a push style clutch (besides doing what we are doing), Mc leod sells a hydraulic throw out bearing that fits on the t-56 bearing retainer. Heres the bad news, it costs 387.00,

But you wouldnt need a special flywheel, and youy can save money on the performance pull style stuff. Well we will keep everyone updated on our low buck ways.

Just thought youd like to know. Bob AZ.

SmooveG
04-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Is this Throwout for the Ls1? Does it work with Fbody Master or do you need the Mcleod master?

Thanks G

zuess4u
04-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Is this Throwout for the Ls1? Does it work with Fbody Master or do you need the Mcleod master?

Thanks G

Well Im not sure if GM changed the bearing retainer size after 1996, if they didnt then this throw out bearing would apply to all factory T-56, if Tyler chims in Im sure he would know, if the bearing retainer sizes changed in between years.

As far as having to use Mcleods MC, Im not sure. I didnt check any further, due to the fact there is no hydraulic throw out bearing worth 387.00.

The difference between theirs and lets say an 80.00 Quater Master, is the inside diameter of the bearing.

If you get a sleeve made and welded on to the bearing retainer of the T-56, its something like 4 thousanths, then you can save money on replacement parts in the future.

andrewb70
04-12-2005, 05:30 PM
One of the problems with using a push style clutch with an LT1 style T56 is that there just isn't enough room inside to fit everything together. The LS1 style T56 had a longer input shaft, so it had more room, thus they used a push style clutch. The problem with the LS1 T56 is that it does not have a bearing retainer. The tranny is aligned with the bellhousing via dowel pins.

Andrew

zuess4u
04-12-2005, 06:29 PM
One of the problems with using a push style clutch with an LT1 style T56 is that there just isn't enough room inside to fit everything together. The LS1 style T56 had a longer input shaft, so it had more room, thus they used a push style clutch. The problem with the LS1 T56 is that it does not have a bearing retainer. The tranny is aligned with the bellhousing via dowel pins.

Andrew

Andrew, I understand what your saying, but someone ( I dont have a name) has made one into a mechanical push style, and had enough room.

We also thoguht this was the third concern of ours while trying this, so we are using the shortest throw out bearing on the market. It measures at 1.7 when collapsed.

We havent set verything up YET, but it looks like we will have pleanty of room to accomplish this.

And Andrew, Im not being a wise guy, but if you get time please let me know what you have seen as far as someone trying this. Heres what we got 68SBC, 1995 T-56, QuaterMaster hydrualic throw bearing, it looks like it may be real close, but I think it will work.

The pressure plate only takes 11/16s to disengage, and the face of the bearing can ride on the fingers if need be.

Should be by the end of next week, cross your fingers, cause this will save a few bucks for anyone wanting to do this.

andrewb70
04-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I am not saying it can't be done, I just know there isn't a whole lot of room there. That is the reason that GM went to a pull style clutch to begin with.

Did you get the new Quarter Master universal bearing? Pics would be great. I am very curious to see it all put together. Its also not a good idea to have the bearing riding on the fingers. At Quarter Master we always recommended about a minimum .100" air gap. Keep in mind that as the clutch disk wears, the fingers will want to come closer to the bearing. So with a new clutch you may be OK, but down the road you may have issues.

Andrew

zuess4u
04-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I am not saying it can't be done, I just know there isn't a whole lot of room there. That is the reason that GM went to a pull style clutch to begin with.

Did you get the new Quarter Master universal bearing? Pics would be great. I am very curious to see it all put together. Its also not a good idea to have the bearing riding on the fingers. At Quarter Master we always recommended about a minimum .100" air gap. Keep in mind that as the clutch disk wears, the fingers will want to come closer to the bearing. So with a new clutch you may be OK, but down the road you may have issues.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, and yes I concour with the clearance at .001 air gap. But this is not the universal type, this is what they call OEM street,

I was told the face of this bearing can touch the fingers, but that was a while ago, and the information could have came from another source other then a tech, I cant remember. But I will check when we get closer. If Im wrong, forgive the mis-information, lord knows you dont want to do that on this site. And I will try to post a picture of it tomorrow.

We are also using an after market 153 tooth flywheel, (19lbs) this should be slightly thinner then stock so that may help us. As we get closer I will post the progress. Thanks for your input Andrew, If you come accross anymore info you would like to share, please feel free to inlighten.