PDA

View Full Version : mid engined ls1 with C5 transaxle?

ilovefirstgens
04-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Would it be possible to mount a ls1 right on the front of a t56 transaxle and make it a mid engine, or would you need to just go use a porsche 911 unit? Id prefer to use one donor car as opposed to having to do that and buy a new porsche part which im sure isnt cheap, also I want to keep this thing all american.

ProdigyCustoms
04-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Yes, but mid engine would mean about the middle of your elbow! You would need to be up front. I thought Porsches were rear engine.

Lowend
04-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Everyone I know who has done this used a Porsche Transaxel... from a 956 I think

ilovefirstgens
04-09-2005, 12:50 PM
well I'm just trying to weigh my options i mean if it saves 5k thats 5k i can spend somewhere else on the car, but it would seem like if i could make the t56 transaxle work my wheelbase would be pretty long since the footwell hasto be behind the front suspension, then again i could always do the mclaren thing and make it a 3 seater and just have the 2 side seats have absolutely no leg room.......

boodlefoof
04-09-2005, 04:18 PM
The Porsche G50/50 transaxle is pretty common with the replica GT40 and Pantera growd. It is fairly short and is a 5 speed box... it is also cable shifted which makes setting it up a bit easier. To make it work, you generally have to invert the gearbox, which requires some modifications to get the gear oiling to work properly.

They can be found used on Ebay for around $3k (used) every so often, or check out GT40 and Pantera sites... they often have them in the "for sale" sections. If you want with with a limit slip option, expect to pay a lot more.

I forget the website URL, but google "Quaife America" and you should find Quaife's website... they build lots of transaxles and can probably give you some ideas.

ilovefirstgens
04-09-2005, 06:31 PM
I cant seem to find the exact dimensions of things like the transaxle suspension components etc, are theese secrets or am I just not looking hard enough. also has anyone done this before because it would be great to hear from someone with some experience.

jeff s
04-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Call Powerhaus II, Roger Brown 303-442-4327
I've got a g50/52 5 speed in my Ultima. From a 89-93 911 turbo. They run about $3500-4500 used and more to build them up. I've got about $11,000 in mine.
Some have tried to use the C5 transaxle, (Mosler, Factory Five) too long I'm told.

JMarsa
04-10-2005, 08:33 AM
I found this a while ago. Not sure if they can handle a V8. Seems like they are oriented to the dune buggy racing world.

www.mendeolatransaxles.com

--JMarsa