PDA

View Full Version : Who's runnin' an electric pump on their carb'd motor?

Boyd
04-09-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm about to add A/C to my '78 LT and would like to place the compressor down low on the pass. side. The problem with that is the only brackets I can find to let me put a Sanden-type compressor down there uses the mounting bosses for the mechanical fuel pump. I'm willing to use an inline electric pump - but have no clue about them. My motor for now is a freshly rebuilt LM1 350 - q-jet carb - mild cam - stock intake/exhaust manifolds. How many p.s.i. & g.p.h does the current set-up need? Are there any elec. pumps out there that I can regulate the pressure on? Can you wire the pump to any ignition-on circuit on the fuse panel - or do I need to run a seperate switch and relay? Forgive my ignorance - I've just never dealt with electric pumps and this car is my daily-driver for now so I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Thanks guys.

paul67
04-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Its no problem to fit a elect pump its a common mod just get a holley elect pump + regulator from summit or jegs or local shop wire it so it comes on when you switch ignition on when pressure is reached on reg about 4-5 psi depending on carb can fit in trunk or under floor which ever takes your fancing or easiest place to fit. Pump size will depend what you are doing with car racing or street.

paul67

ProdigyCustoms
04-09-2005, 09:37 AM
I would NOT buy a Holley, good pumps but too noisey. A Mallory 110 is whisper quiet, and is more then sufficient for your combo.

Steve68
04-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Franks right, All I here is RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, but then I turn the key, and I still hear it!!!! Steve

SicMonte
04-09-2005, 02:39 PM
my friend just put a holley "red" pump on his car...with a 650 speed demon...runs great ( wish mine ran that nice!!). he wired it to his ignition as well

1 problem though....RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...hahahaha

ProdigyCustoms
04-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Know what is funny, I used a Holley Blue on my street racer on the nitrous side before I had a fuel pressure gauge I could see. The RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR let me know the pump was on, LOL!

digitalman2112
04-09-2005, 07:21 PM
I can't put my top up - all I hear is RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :)

Franks right - its just too damn loud.

Of course when I had empty mufflers, it really wasnt a problem....

Flyboy
04-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I've heard some good reviews regarding these pumps:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=AEI%2D11203&N=400300&autoview=sku