PDA

View Full Version : looking for a compact AC compressor

opnwide
10-22-2009, 07:12 PM
I've got a pontiac 455 that I want to keep looking fairly stock (no flashy aluminum pulleys or $2000 serpentine systems) but I would like to change out the HUGE axial compressor for something smaller. I know a lot of folk like the sanden unit but I think it may be a little too long.

I am considering run twin turbos, and I would like to mount it IN FRONT of the block, using a v-groove pulley that lines up with the old pulley (outside groove of 3 groove crank). I've got 6 1/8" between the block and the outer lip of the pulley groove. Are there any commonly available radial compressors with a body and clutch length of 6" or less?

The compressors off the old L98 TPIs look fairly short? Diameter is not much of an issue in this location.

thanks

critter
10-23-2009, 04:56 AM
Well, if you don't like the Sanden and want to run turbos, I'm not much help. I used a Sanden mounted in the same location as the stock A6 compressor I had in my 74TA. I had to fab up the brackets. If you want a photo let me know.

Chevy Kid
10-26-2009, 01:23 AM
The Sandens are nice because they only take about 3hp to run.

Tim

Twentyover
10-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Candidly, the R4 used on GM's for a number of years are a little fragile. Think you may be happier in the long run with smething else

ProdigyCustoms
10-26-2009, 08:05 AM
All the front mount drive set ups use the Sanden SD7 "peanut" compressor.

opnwide
10-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I just found out that the Sanden 508 is about 7" from the back plate to the 1st v-belt groove. (About 7.5" to the second groove for those interested.) That's a tad too long for me, so I'm still looking. There is supposedly a shorty version that I am trying to find out about (SD5?)

Twentyover
10-28-2009, 05:56 AM
There 7" and 5" versions of the 5 cylinder Sanden compressor. (The 5 & 7 inch designations refer to displacement.)

The 5" is infrequently used, so may cost you a little more. The pumps are fundamentally the same with different strokes to accomofdate the differing displacements, and body length variation resulting from stroke variation.

opnwide
10-28-2009, 08:09 AM
I was just emailed from some Ebay seller, saying the SD5H14 is 8" long total with 2 groove pulley. It sounds like the SD5H14 is the same as the 508 compressor:(
I also discovered the SD5H09 is 7 3/8" long with clutch. So figure subtract 1" for the extra pulley and clutch assembly and that leaves 6 3/8". Still a little long. I wonder if those bolts that stick out the back can be ground down 1/4" or so....

Oh, and I get the nomenclature now. Sanden 508= 5 cylinders, 8 cu. in. displacement.

thanks!

Twentyover
10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/compressors/sanden/conversion_guide.htm

Not quite the same

opnwide
10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks, Twentyover.

It looks like that 505 is going to have to be the one. With a little grinding of those back bolts, it should fit!

ProdigyCustoms
10-30-2009, 03:32 AM
All the front mount drive set ups use the Sanden SD7 "peanut" compressor.

Here is a link to some peanut compressors.

You are looking for the

P411 or P412.

http://marchperf.com/pg51.html#accomp

transamguy79
11-15-2009, 09:49 AM
are you looking for a compressor off of another car or a brand new one? my father owns a a/c and radiator shop and can get about anything custom or not. let me know what your looking for

sunkistcamaro
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
are you looking for a compressor off of another car or a brand new one? my father owns a a/c and radiator shop and can get about anything custom or not. let me know what your looking for
Do you or your dad know if the sanden SD5 or 7 have any direct automotive replacements? Just wondering if it directly fits any camaros mustangs or any particular model.
Thanks

sdxman
12-27-2009, 12:38 PM
You may want to call classic auto air (http://www.classicautoair.com) or old air products (http://www.oldairproducts.com).

I am also converting the big A6 to Sanden and Classic Auto Air seems to have all the parts needed for a clean setup and they were very helpful on the phone. This is all they do so if they don't have the answer I don't know who would.

Good luck!
Steve

KUL FIR CHICK N
12-28-2009, 07:18 AM
SD5 refers to a five cylinder compressor and SD7 is a seven cylinder. There are many models of each. The SD5H14 is a five cylinder, 138cc displacement compressor. The "peanut" compressor that Frank is referring to is the SD7B10, which is the shortest axial compressor you will find and is a seven cylinder, 100cc displacement. We used the SD7B10 on our first SBC Front Runner drive system because our research showed that it was the most compact package available and still had adequate performance for the majority of our systems. This allowed us to develop the first block mounted, forward of the cylinder head drive system.

Of course, once we released it, the rest of the industry followed. I think the SD7B10 is your best bet and we carry them in multigroove and v-belt versions. It has a 6.9" overall length and measures 6.16" from the rear of the compressor to the front groove and 5.54" to the rear groove (v belt version).

The Vintage Air part # for the v-belt version is 046702 for the standard finish and 046703 polished.

Ryan Zwicker
Vintage Air, Inc.

Concept One Pulleys
01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Good luck with your efforts in making this thing work together. Did a build with similar problems for a guy a while back. Can't remember what car he had, but we had good luck in getting some custom pulley kits (http://c1pulleys.com) from a company in Georgia called Concept One Pulleys. Drop them a line and I'm sure they can help cook up exactly what you need.

-Robertson Howard

gEtyOpAPiOn
03-25-2010, 10:18 AM
sorry to interrupt ,what would be the part number for the serp. version on that compressor 046702 and where can i get it from

turbo kid
04-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Call Hot rod air they took good care of me.