PDA

View Full Version : ground clearance

stanglou
04-08-2005, 04:01 PM
what is a good ground clearance for a road car at static ride height. for the front crossmember i am looking at about 5 inches. is this enough or will i be snagging speed bumps and potholes? any insight or experience?
thanks louie

ProdigyCustoms
04-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Engine crossmember travels with the tires, so it is usually not an issue. Transmission crossmember, headers, subframe and driveshaft loops under the floor, are different issues.

preston
04-11-2005, 08:37 AM
5" should be fine. My limit is 4.5" and that seems to work well. The front splitter is 4" so if it clears that the rest of the car is good. Alot depends on your front and rear overhangs. My front overhang is pretty short but at 4" it can be a problem on steep driveways. I have one of those rounded drain curbs on the sidewalk going into my uphill driveway and I have to lay down a plank to drive into it. But actually other than that I have no problems as long as I'm careful. So engine crosmember at 5" should be fine as mentioned it kind of "travels with the tires" so not as important as things that hange down in the center and you can get high centered on.

Just saying 4.5" is kind of the limit for a streetable car., so 5" is good.

Steve1968LS2
04-11-2005, 08:48 AM
The thing that hit on my 69 were the front shackles for the slide-a-links.. Also had to watch my deep trans pan..

Driving a lowered car is like dealing with women.. it get easier if you practice and learn the right angles ;)

Travis B
04-11-2005, 09:27 AM
I would say 5 in would be very safe! :bananna2: