PDA

View Full Version : 95 s series blazer

ls1gto
10-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Hello,

I've been looking at tons of threads here and I must say that this forum has the most suspension info I have seen.

Now, here is my project...

Its a 95 2dr 2wd s10 blazer that I mostly use as a dd.
Im setting out to rebuild my front suspension once again and this time I am wanting to spend a bit more time researching than last and do it a little better.

It currently has 5" drop upfront and needless to say, the geometry is all messed up. The inside of the tires are gone within a few 1000 miles. Alignment does not help. Apperently, Firestone, the only shop that would align it around here, where i have a life-time alignment pass, will only align it to stock specification which doesnt do much due to 5" drop. I really don't know what numbers I should be using, so I cant ask them to adjust it. In addition, I've been very dissapointed with ES bushings i have installed a year or 2 ago. In addition to horrible squeak, the truck feels like it's missing suspension upfront. I know i cant ask for alot with my drop, but I am wanting to make it the best I possibly could.

Here is what Im wanting to do.

Upgrade to 98+ blazer spindle with 2" drop for dual piston calipers.
qa1 with probably max setting to maintain 4-5" drop upfront.
Del-a-lum bushings in stock lca's
Tubular uca's w/ del-a-lum's

Now here are my questions.

Would I benefit from using tall upper ball joint?
Would I be able to correct my geometry with unadjustable uca? or would I benefit more from the adjustable ones?
Are spohn uca's a good choice?
Does anyone happen to know what would be a good start for my alignment specifications to at least get the tires flat on the asphalt to begin with?
With del-a-lum's do you simply drill a hole in the control arms for zirk grease fitting?

sinned
10-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Hello,

I've been looking at tons of threads here and I must say that this forum has the most suspension info I have seen.

Now, here is my project...

Its a 95 2dr 2wd s10 blazer that I mostly use as a dd.
Im setting out to rebuild my front suspension once again and this time I am wanting to spend a bit more time researching than last and do it a little better.

It currently has 5" drop upfront and needless to say, the geometry is all messed up. The inside of the tires are gone within a few 1000 miles. Alignment should be obviously WAY out of spec if tires are worn in 1K mils. Alignment does not help. Apperently, Firestone, the only shop that would align it around here, where i have a life-time alignment pass, will only align it to stock specification This is not a problem, stock settings will NOT wear out tires, either they are not setting it correctly or you have something drastically wrong which doesnt do much due to 5" drop. The level of drop should not have any affect on the alignment unless it is dropped so far with springs that the arms cannot be shimmed/rotated enough to bring camber into spec I really don't know what numbers I should be using, so I cant ask them to adjust it. In addition, I've been very dissapointed with ES bushings i have installed a year or 2 ago. Big suprise :hammer: In addition to horrible squeak, the truck feels like it's missing suspension upfront. I know i cant ask for alot with my drop, but I am wanting to make it the best I possibly could.

Here is what Im wanting to do.

Upgrade to 98+ blazer spindle with 2" drop for dual piston calipers.
qa1 with probably max setting to maintain 4-5" drop upfront.
Del-a-lum bushings in stock lca's
Tubular uca's w/ del-a-lum's

Now here are my questions.

Would I benefit from using tall upper ball joint? Most GM vehicles do
Would I be able to correct my geometry with unadjustable uca? or would I benefit more from the adjustable ones? SC&C UCA are the best choice
Are spohn uca's a good choice? See above
Does anyone happen to know what would be a good start for my alignment specifications to at least get the tires flat on the asphalt to begin with? Like any other car, something around 0-neg 1* camber and 1/16 toe in will give a great compromise. Caster is fairly irrelevant to tire wear unless it is extreme which I doubt it is. Factory settings are fine.
With del-a-lum's do you simply drill a hole in the control arms for zirk grease fitting? No, the Zerk fittings are in the middle of the bushing where there is no control arm material.

Rhino
10-18-2009, 09:07 PM
... qa1 with probably max setting to maintain 4-5" drop upfront.

You may want to rethink setting your coil overs this low. Each shock will have a minimum and maximum recommended ride height. By running it as low will probably be out of it's recommended range. This seems to be the single most common cause of coil over failure.
The proper way to maintain the ride height you want with a coil over would be to raise the upper shock mount the requisite amount.

2ndgenhunter
10-19-2009, 01:31 AM
You might want to see about a set of 2" drop lca. If they still make them.

Apogee
10-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I'd suggest calling Mark at SC&C (www.scandc.com)...you're essentially dealing with a G-body/S-truck suspension and he knows those like the back of his hand...maybe better.

Tobin
KORE3

ponchopwr70
10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
I agree with Tobin. If or when I do the front end of my s-10 I'm going that route, same design as the g-body.

ls1gto
10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
It seems like my ball joints are bent to the max, especially the lower ones. It seems almost as if the UCAs are not long enough. I dont know if that is the case, but both of my upper ball joints are bent outwards about as far as they would go when the truck is sitting on the ground with wheels straight. So that is why im wondering if tubular UCAs will correct my problem.

I will consider getting 2" LCAs. But I was wondering if anyone knows whether spohn lcas have 2" drop built into them. From pictures on SC&S website it looks like they do?