PDA

View Full Version : Getting cotter pin through ball joint

scherp69
10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
So as the title says, I have a question about getting the cotter pin through the ball joint. I'm have Moog 5108 ball joints and I have the nut tight, but it hasn't gone far enough to allow the cotter pin to go through. In the past if I've gone too tight, then the entire shaft starts turning and then I can't tighten it up at all so I ended up replacing them. At $38 each, I don't want to keep replacing them. I can get the cotter pin through one side, but it won't come out the other. Any advice?? Thanks in advance.

David Pozzi
10-15-2009, 02:31 PM
The ball joint taper needs to be clean, no grease or dirt, same for the balljoint stud. Then usually a little pressure forcing the balljoint into the taper is all it takes to hold it enough to prevent turning. If the nut is bottoming out on the stud shoulder, then a washer should be used. But I've never needed to do that on a first gen Camaro.

It is permissible to torque the nut a little extra to properly align the castle nut to the cotter pin hole.

6'9"Witha69
10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
If the nut is bottoming out on the stud shoulder, then a washer should be used. But I've never needed to do that on a first gen Camaro.I have. No biggie though.

MuscleRodz
10-15-2009, 03:43 PM
take a lead or brass hammer and seat the taper so you do not damage the tie rod, should give you another castlation or two and let the cotter pin go all the way through

79T/Aman
10-15-2009, 03:55 PM
As Dave mentioned it is critical that the taper be in good condition, and clean, torque to spec, use a washer if the tapered stud pulls past the nut face, after torking to spec you may tighten it to the next window in the castle nut,do not loosen, dirty, worn out tapers, loose, insuficiantly torqued and overall poor fitting tapers are 90% of the time the cause of broken studs

JRouche
10-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Sounds like my problem I had with some spindles. The tapered hole was too small. I was lucky enough to have factory stock spindles still and measured the tapered hole. Sure enough, the new ones were small. Back to the company they went.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/progress-1.gifOh, and for the spinning ball joint stud. I have had to resort to an impact air wrench sometimes. Just to get the taper seated quickly so the BJ stud didnt turn. Just a quick tap on the trigger. Prolly not the preferred method. And once the pin was seated and grabbing good I was able to move the nut to the last hole or even cinch it down a lil to the next hole. Just a matter of getting the tapered pin to seat and grip. [/URL]JR
[URL="http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/editpost.php4?do=editpost&p=241290"]
(http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/editpost.php4?do=editpost&p=241291)

Skip Fix
10-18-2009, 07:26 AM
I found after torquing mine a couple of times the slots would end up in different spots and get me closer.

scherp69
10-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys...this has been great. I plan on getting to them on Monday or Tuesday so this will help alot.