PDA

View Full Version : runnnig a/c, heater lines

lsxfirstgen
10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
im installing a va kit on the 69/ls, i want to run the lines through the blower fan hole but im trying to figure out what is the best way to get them to the evap unit. if i go through the fresh air hole on the kick panel then i hace to cut up the kick panel and water may get in. does anyone have an pics of this setup? thanks

parsonsj
10-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Reiner,

I used bulkhead fittings along with a custom plate. It's water-tight, looks good, and lets you do all the interior pieces to completion, and then move on to the exterior.

jp

lsxfirstgen
10-15-2009, 05:17 PM
would it be possoble to post some pics, i would really appreciate it. i like the idea of using one of the bulkhead plates but im not to sure what to do on the inside. just get the fitting and make lines to the inside fittings??

Mkelcy
11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Following up on this post, I'm installing a Gen II Compac VA unit in my '68 Camaro. I want to run the AC and heater hoses through a manifold mounted where the old heater blower motor was (just below the top of the passenger side fender), but I'm not certain how to get the hoses out of the cowl air plenum to the Compac unit - any thoughts?

bigblockcamino
12-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I never understood why VA does this. Makes more sense to have one length of hose, but then again it's easier to get the length just right with the bulkhead.

41565 chevelle
12-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Search the threads for this, Prodigy did this and did not use a bulkhead and it looked killer. In addition, you just eliminate the extra fittings that may leak. They have some pics here of a camaro they did.

Modo Innovations
12-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Here is what I did. I used the plastic bulkhead supplied by VA and installed it backwards into the factory blower hole.

Mkelcy
12-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Here is what I did. I used the plastic bulkhead supplied by VA and installed it backwards into the factory blower hole.

How did you get the hoses from the plenum into the body of the car?

ProBell
12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
This is how mine are run, But I do not run stock kick panels. Randy

ProdigyCustoms
12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Just trim the top of the kick panel and dynamat the hole closed behind the kick panel. Pretty simple actually. you can make it real complicated, but this work just fine.

There is water draining though the cowl into the rockers, but even in a full heavy rain flood through the cowl is is directed away from the opening.

Modo Innovations
12-12-2009, 01:24 PM
How did you get the hoses from the plenum into the body of the car?

Frank explained it above exactly. The only other plus is that my car is a factory A/C car and has the vacuum canister shroud on the passenger kick panel.

LeighP
12-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Maybe a 1st gen car is different....but from experience chasing water leaks in a 2nd gen F-body, if the car is even slightly on a side slope water will flood in from the plenum in through those large airvent holes unless properly sealed up.....make sure whatever you do with hoses/fittings going through that inner wall into the plenum that you seal them up.....or there'll be wet carpet in your future.