PDA

View Full Version : yellow dot on Nitto race tire

Roadrage David
10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
guys i know a guy who hase this yellow dot ore cirqel on the side of his nitto raceing tiers he whants to know what it is and why its there for!!!> tanks
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/10/motor20356-2.jpg

eville
10-14-2009, 08:56 AM
As far as I know, that's where you're supposed to line up the valve stem.

Mike Holleman
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
That is correct. The tire guys should have known that when they installed them.

1badchevelle
10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
close enough....

cheapthrillz
10-14-2009, 10:14 AM
close enough....

Haha.... :hammer:

John Wright
10-14-2009, 10:28 AM
What do those colored dots on the tires mean ?

The colored dots identify the final finish inspector that inspected that tire. We used to use yellow paint stamps with numbers but the numbers were usually illegible. When we got back a tire that should have never shipped to begin with we often had trouble figuring out which of our inspectors needed a tad more training. Now they each have a different color paint pen.

http://www.americanracertires.com/content.php?id=4

Roadrage David
10-14-2009, 10:50 PM
And why is that????

judgnot
10-15-2009, 03:54 AM
In motorcycle tires that identifying feature is usually two small marks next to each other and is sometimes referred to as the "snake bite". The purpose of the mark is to identify either the lightest or the heaviest part of the tire. This is used for balancing purposes. The reason the guys say to put it near the valve stem would indicate to me that the yellow dot is marking the lightest part of the tire and would be put next to the stem which in theory should be the heaviest side of the wheel. You can see that the effort would be to offset the weight differences in the wheel/tire. In any case I would check with the tire manufacturer to see what the yellow dot means because it could be either the light or heavy side. Once you get it figured out is should make balancing easier.

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Yep, what they said about the heaviest section of the tire. Like it up with the Valve Stem.

As a side bonus you can see if you tire is ever spinning on the wheel.

I've found that he dot is only on one side of the tire.

John Wright
10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Econtact

:idea:Ask the company who makes the tire:)

Roadrage David
10-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Guys i like to make a apology , as i alredy knew what its there for, but i needed a hounest upinion about it. we had a discussion about it on a dutch forum, where a tire guy who works for a company said the dot is only there for aproval. i gues they dont deal with race cars and race tires. we said its there to line up with the valve stem. for better end ez balansing. i like to feel good doing 190+ mph knowing i dont have a inbalance in my tires.