PDA

View Full Version : Solidly mounting a stock body/frame?

Q ship
04-07-2005, 10:28 AM
I didn't want to hijack the Morrison frame conversation, but something that came up there got me to thinking.

From the other thread, by Mean 69; Which was exactly the point I made earlier, all of the "sheet metal" becomes very, very effective at increasing stiffness, especially in the shear plane. While this alone won't address torsional rigidity (which I completely agree with Norm as the hardest part to nail, this is well documented in the literature), it will go leaps and bounds towards improving rigidity overall. Hence my previous post regarding full frame versus SFC'd unit body cars, and this is completely independent of the "Jungle Jim" cage. Now, a contiguous full frame, sunk into the sheet metal and welded directly to it, ala II Much, is terrific, but I'd take my through floor SFC'd Camaro with the front subframe (welded securely to the SFC's), and the rear frame rails welded directly to rear of the car as it came from the factory, over a full frame that is bolted in a handful of locations to the body. Any day, and twice on Sunday. And on this one, your mileage "won't" vary.

Mark End quote

I used to have a '71 Camaro that used the GW solid subframe mounts and SFC's. I didn't notice any problems and enjoyed the "directly coupled" feel of the car. So what is the feasibility of using solid mounts on a full (stock) frame car, aka Chevelle/80's G-body/80's B-body(my interest here)? The stock mounts are rubber, and there are Poly mounts available. Would solid aluminum mounts tying the body to the frame impart too much stress for the stock design? Or to take it one step further, would it be possible to weld the frame to the sheetmetal of the body, spreading the stress over a greater area than the mounts alone? All thoughts welcome!!

Travis B
04-07-2005, 11:22 AM
My dad does not have a mullet but he has a thing for prostreet cars and we did a chevelle for him it was 66! If it was gonna be a prostreet car it had to be somewhat cool so I cut the floor out of and body dropped the body down over the frame so it can't be seen! and when I got it where I wanted it I welded to frame to rocker all the way down tied it in on both ends and then built the floors around it and plug weld the floor to frame!
It is not finished yet but it is rigid and strong I will try and get some pics posted!

1966 Chevelle
520ci BBC on the spray
31x10.5W Tire
On air suspension and it lays rocker!!!!

airrj1
04-11-2005, 05:55 AM
Brian,

I have done this on my Chevelle. I don't have any photos yet, but I built my own nylon solid body mounts. I used nylon because it is cheap, easy to machine and I was hoping it might dampen a little of the noise from the chassis. So far I have had not problems with them, but I have not really pushed my car yet, and I can't comment on the noise factor too much yet since my car is so loud due to the lack of any interior, etc.

But I agree with your thoughts. The solid mounts almost have to add to the rigidty to the entire assembly, albeit not as much as a cage, but it is an easy addition in my mind.

Q ship
04-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the replies! Travis, that sounds a lot more involved than I can go, basically sounds like you are creating your own unibody! Let us know how it turns out. R.J., nylon mounts sound promising. Where did you get the material? Any details on their fabrication?

The only thing that makes me worry about using the mount locations alone is the amount of stress being transferred to the bolts. I don't know, maybe it's no greater than with the rubber mounts. I don't know about A-bodies, but it's fairly common to find broken mount bolts on B-bodies using the stock mounts. To my way of thinking, it's just as possible that relative motion between the body and frame could cause this, and rigidly tying them together may actually be better. Or I could be full of ....

R.J., I'll be checking back to see how they are holding up-thanks again.

Travis B
04-13-2005, 06:03 AM
I would think the solid bushings would be fine! If you are worried about the mounts on the body you could always go in and beef up the mount areas! Do you have a fairly rust free body?