PDA

View Full Version : Questions for turbo motor (SBC)

Paul69camaro
04-06-2005, 07:44 PM
I put this in the power adder forum but did'nt get any responses, could you guys maybe help me out?

Well finally was able to get some money from uncle sam, so I'm going to put it into my motor. The questions I have are:

1. I've got a Milodon 31505 (road race Oil Pan) and need to put the oil return bungs on to it, the question is where on the pan, how big, and where can I get the bungs.

2. I also have the Milodon 18770 (big block style oil pump). it's been so long since I messed with it that I don't know if it's a high pressure pump and wondering if it's going to cause a problem with the turbos.

3. I'm also planning on not using a rev-kit on the lifters, it should'nt be a problem on a hydraulic roller not spinning over 6200 right? Also any recommedations for lifters? Need to find a set of Hyrdaulic roller lifters for a retro-fitted SBC (will the Lunati #72430LUN work?) Also Is there any of these lifters that does not require special length pushrods?

4. Could also use some input on harmonic balancers, I'm looking at the TCI rattler and the ATI but can't decide, also does the size of the balancer have any effects?

Thanks in advance for the help

Paul

camcojb
04-07-2005, 07:32 AM
I put this in the power adder forum but did'nt get any responses, could you guys maybe help me out?

Well finally was able to get some money from uncle sam, so I'm going to put it into my motor. The questions I have are:

1. I've got a Milodon 31505 (road race Oil Pan) and need to put the oil return bungs on to it, the question is where on the pan, how big, and where can I get the bungs.

2. I also have the Milodon 18770 (big block style oil pump). it's been so long since I messed with it that I don't know if it's a high pressure pump and wondering if it's going to cause a problem with the turbos.

3. I'm also planning on not using a rev-kit on the lifters, it should'nt be a problem on a hydraulic roller not spinning over 6200 right? Also any recommedations for lifters? Need to find a set of Hyrdaulic roller lifters for a retro-fitted SBC (will the Lunati #72430LUN work?) Also Is there any of these lifters that does not require special length pushrods?

4. Could also use some input on harmonic balancers, I'm looking at the TCI rattler and the ATI but can't decide, also does the size of the balancer have any effects?

Thanks in advance for the help

Paul

1. They go towards the front of the pan, maybe 1/4 of the way back up high near the pan rail. Make sure you do NOT line up with a main cap which would block the flow of oil back into the pan from the turbos. I like at least a 1/2" i.d. line and my current pan uses 1/2" NPT threads in the pan. Make sure you check the i.d. of the fittings you use also as many are quite small which could cause the oil to back up in the line.

2. Pump sounds fine to me.

3. I've seen many hydraulic roller setups have problems getting to 6200 rpms without a rev kit. However, if the springs are correct you should be able to make it. The pushrods have to be shorter as you still have all the internal pieces of a hydraulic lifter but have now added a rolling wheel underneath it.

4. I don't like the TCI. It's noisy. Then again, I don't like TCI period! :ripped: The ATI is one of the nicest quality balancers available.

Jody

Paul69camaro
04-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Jody thanks again for the help, Now just gotta start ordering parts and.....

Paul69camaro
04-13-2005, 05:32 PM
I've got one more question, I've got the lifters ordered but they said that I need to measure the pushrod length, I know there is a tool to do this but could you tell me the procedure for doing it. Thanks again

Paul

camcojb
04-13-2005, 06:06 PM
I've got one more question, I've got the lifters ordered but they said that I need to measure the pushrod length, I know there is a tool to do this but could you tell me the procedure for doing it. Thanks again

Paul

Paul,

I prefer using an adjustable pushrod. I've had funky results sometimes with those tools. Start with the adjustable pushrod at the standard length for your combo, 7.3" I believe in your case. You'll also need a solid lifter (my preference) or in the case of a hydraulic roller cam if the lifter is pumped up you should be fine.. Remove the rocker arm on the cylinder you want to check and color the valve tip black with a felt tip marker. Turn the engine over until the lobe is on the base circle for that valve, just like you were going to adjust the valves. Put the lifter, pushrod and rocker arm on and adjust the rocker arm for the correct lash. Rotate the engine over by hand a couple revolutions. Remove the rocker arm and look at the wear pattern on the valve tip. If the pushrod is the correct length the wear area will be centered on the valve tip. If the pattern is closer to the intake manifold side then the pushrod is too short. If it's towards the exhaust manifold side of the engine the pushrod is too long. If it's off, shorten/lengthen a turn or so and re-do the entire procedure. Once you get it right measure the pushrod length with calipers or use a chart as supplied by Jesel, T&D, etc. A machine shop should have the proper measuring tools and then order the pushrods in the nearest .050" or so. If it's a few thou off it won't noticed, but do try to get as accurate a measurement as possible. Check at least one intake and exhaust just to be sure, and if you want to get real picky check them all, I usually do.

Jody

Paul69camaro
04-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Jody
Thanks once again, Just wanted to get the last finishing touches on the motor to seal it up and wait for more money.