PDA

View Full Version : Professional Body shop needed

69CamaroRacer
04-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Guys I live in North West FL and I have been looking for a good body shop that can do some body work and repaint my car but there is none to be found. I want someone who has expierence with First Gen Camaros and knows the problem areas. I need someone who is willing to take the body off the car and have it done right. I am willing to pay for a good job it is just the lack of quality shops around here. I am willing to have the car shipped somewhere if the the place and the price is right. All I have been able to find around here is redneck good ol' boys who want to "tare her down fur ya" and insurence pro-shops who want nothing to do with a classic in need of some repair. My car is no rust bucket but I can see some signs of wear and know that in a few years it is gonna need a strip and repaint. So there has to be someone in the southeast that can do it. Do you know who they are?

Sparky67
04-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Guys I live in North West FL and I have been looking for a good body shop that can do some body work and repaint my car but there is none to be found. I want someone who has expierence with First Gen Camaros and knows the problem areas. I need someone who is willing to take the body off the car and have it done right. I am willing to pay for a good job it is just the lack of quality shops around here. I am willing to have the car shipped somewhere if the the place and the price is right. All I have been able to find around here is redneck good ol' boys who want to "tare her down fur ya" and insurence pro-shops who want nothing to do with a classic in need of some repair. My car is no rust bucket but I can see some signs of wear and know that in a few years it is gonna need a strip and repaint. So there has to be someone in the southeast that can do it. Do you know who they are?

Do you have a budget in mind? Because a frame off restoration at professional body shop can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 per hour depending on the shop. If you have tons of cash and want the best then go to Time Machines Inc. http://www.timemachinesinc.com/
Not all professional body shops will do frame off restorations. I am having one done now, but it is one of these lower cost backyard mechanics that do it on the side. I am sort of lucky because I know his sons. Well, I thought my 67 Camaro was in great shape until we started taking it off the frame. I am having mine acid dipped and then e-coated. Already had the other parts, like hood, doors, etc. dipped and then e-coated. So the last part is the shell. How good is my backyard bodyman, well, he knows on how to do lead work. Which is sort of hard to find in these Pro body shops. Be prepared to wait too, if you find someone good. Also if you want it done right, don't use repro sheetmetal. Use NOS sheetmetal, it can still be found, but it does cost a little more. Good luck on your restoration project though. When I get time, I will put up a site. So you can see the progress of my 67 Camaro.

ryans67deuce
04-06-2005, 08:21 PM
You should really contact Frank with Prodigy Customs. He's a regular on here and if you do a search I am sure you can find pics of some of the F-body's he's working on now. He does great work from what I have seen. He's located in Orlando, so you could drag your car down there in a day verses shipping it. His handle on here is "Prodigy Customs".

Ryan

69CamaroRacer
04-06-2005, 08:59 PM
I quess I should calarify what I am expecting. I do not want a show car or trailer queen I just want a nice driver that I can cruise in and take to the drags now and then. I want someone who can eliminate the rust and do a good quality paint job. Thanks for the lead on Prodigy Customs I will look into that .... As far as price goes I had a figure somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k.

ProdigyCustoms
04-07-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks guy's, not sure what is wrong but the site is having problems. You can look here though to learn more about us.

http://jsnakefl.brinkster.net/tjm/prodigycustoms/

MuscleRodz
04-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Go see Frank. He has 2 awesome cars that belong to members of this site right now.

Mike

69CamaroRacer
04-07-2005, 08:59 AM
I spoke to frank this morning. He seems like the right guy for the job and he was comfortable with the figure that I had in mind. When I am ready Frank will more than likely be my man.

Sparky67
04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
I spoke to frank this morning. He seems like the right guy for the job and he was comfortable with the figure that I had in mind. When I am ready Frank will more than likely be my man.

Glad you found Frank, I am sure you will be pleased with the results. I thought a post a few photos of my backyard bodyman's cars. He has several, but I got a few photos of his blue 1960 Chevy Impala with an LS-1 engine. It was finished last April 2004. It was getting a new NOS grill and some other parts to make it a little more detailed. Oh, this is a driver too.