PDA

View Full Version : Got wheels!

73novaguy
04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I got my 17" Boyd Smoothies II's a couple days ago and wow are they gonna look good. I don't know if I am gonna wait to get the suspension in to put them on or do it now. Well I did take pics but haven't loaded them onto the puter yet so you will all have to wait. The Hotchkis stuff is supposed to ship out from Summit on the 18th of this month and then I will surely have pics posted of the car currently and with the 17's and then with the suspension and the 17's. my computer time has been cut down due to the awesome weather we are having (50's and sun) so I have been in the garage cleaning up to get ready for the suspension upgrade! I'll keep it posted!
Dan, how are you coming on those pics for me?

zbugger
04-06-2005, 07:35 PM
That's cool. Get some pics of it now, and with the wheels before the suspension. Then you can post pics of what the suspension actually did to the car. I can't wait to see it.

chicane67
04-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Comeon Dan, :postpics:

dhardison
04-07-2005, 04:03 AM
It's nice to hear about your new wheels, but stop with the excuses and POST SOME PICS!! :)

The weather has just this week turned nice enough to get the car out for some pics. But..... I haven't installed my new m/c and obviously still need to bleed the brakes before I can roll it out on my somewhat inclined driveway (which is why I'm waiting 'til I finish the brakes). I'll get some full side shots asap. (pot calling the kettle black as far as excuses go huh?) :)

Dan

MarkM66
04-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Looking forward to pics too.

What widths and backspacing did you get?

Milow68
04-08-2005, 06:03 AM
Can't wait to see some pictures! Get some before and after :bananna2:
Brad

73novaguy
04-09-2005, 05:22 AM
Well here are some pics of the car a few months ago and one of the wheels I choose for it. The tires are a 245/40/17 in the front on a rim of 17x7 with 4.5"bs and the tires on the rear are 275/40/17 on a 17x8 wheel with 5"bs. I might have to put a small spacer in for the front, but I don't think there will be a need for it.
Now is the long dreaded wait for the suspension. I only have like two more weeks to wait (and have been waiting for like 2 months now), but this is the hardest time to wait because it is nice out and everyone has there stuff on the road. Oh well, it will be worth it!
And I know I am gonna catch some greif over the "Dude, why do you have a trailer hitch and 2" ball on a 1973 Nova with a 502 big block?" Well there are two reasons... #1 It came that way in 1973, complete with multi leaf springs and a hitch and plug in (old circle style boat plug in) and the #2 reason is that I have an ongoing joke with some of the guys round here that think there cars are fast. So I tell them after I get done blowin the doors off of those Mustangs, I can haul them Fords home if need be! :firefire:

Try these links to the pics. I was having troubles this morning!
Wheel pic- http://www.tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2n0x93
Car pic- http://www.tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2n106w

colt zantop
04-09-2005, 04:51 PM
oh yeah! thats gonna look killer....get some pics up of them mounted when you get a chance......nice choice!!

Roger Poirier
04-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Much nicer, Do you plan on lowering the car at all? R.P.

73novaguy
04-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Well, I had to throw the wheels on today just to get a feel for what they would look like when the car gets lowered. So here is a "in the garage" pic. They look great if you ask me, kind of like a TTII, but not quite. Had to be different from others ya know! I think it will really set them off when the car gets lowered, right now the thing looks like it has a lift kit!!! hahahhaah Hope you guys like it, and of course when the Hotchkis stuff gets here I will have more pics! Especially now I figured out how to host pics to post em.

Side view of car- http://www.tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2n95i8

Blue70
04-10-2005, 05:08 AM
That is going to look sweet once it's dropped a bit!!! :icon996:

I like the color of the car, do you remember the name of color and who it's from? Is it a straight color or metalic? That's one of the colors I am tossing around for my car. :cheers:

Zefhix
04-10-2005, 12:42 PM
That is going to look sweet once it's dropped a bit!!! :icon996:

I like the color of the car, do you remember the name of color and who it's from? Is it a straight color or metalic? That's one of the colors I am tossing around for my car. :cheers:

Haha...I was just about to ask the same thing.....looks an awful lot like the color we're using, which is a Ford color. Dark Shadow Grey Metallic that they just replaced this year with Mineral Grey but it has a hint of gold to it that I don't like on the new color.
Justin, your car is kick ass. My very first car was a 73 Nova custom 350 so I especially like it not to mention the color......damn. :smoke:

chicane67
04-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Bad ass....

Now, just get 'er down toward the weeds a little bit and you'll be golden.

protour_chevelle
04-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Wheels look great on there! Only one problem... Your tires are on backwards...

-Matt

kman67rsss
04-10-2005, 03:50 PM
those wheels look good, but after watching american hot rod i dont think i can buy anything from boyd coddington. i just dont like the way he treats his guys. maybee its just the spin that tv puts on it.

dhardison
04-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Those wheels look great Justin! Can't wait to see it after you lower it 3-4". :)

Dan

MarkM66
04-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Wheels look great on there! Only one problem... Your tires are on backwards...

-Matt

They just need to be swap from side to side.

Looking forward to seeing pics with the lowered suspension.

Travis B
04-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Needs to come way down!Other than that it looks great

69bigblock
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Wheels look good!

73novaguy
04-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all of the great comments guys! If it weren't for this site I would have never gotten as far as I have!

Blue 70 and Zefhix- I was originally going for a gun metal grey (I believe the color was stock on '72 Nova's), but when I got searching around in the color book, I stumbled upon this color and liked it more cause it has a metalic shade to it. While I don't know if it is actually a true metallic, I know the color was a GM color in 85. I think it is called something on the lines of Gun Metal Grey though! I hope that helps! I have a touchup can in the basement, but no label on the can, I just took some of the extra paint from when we sprayed the car. The color looks a bit darker in the pic than it actually is. Mostly due to the fact that the car was in the garage. My step father had a '72 Nova that was Gun Metal Grey and that is why I wanted to go with that color, but then I thought I would get close to the color but add my own touch to it.

Protour_Chevelle- Ya I noticed after I posted the pics and got lookin a bit closer that they were flip flopped. They aren't actually bolted up. I just put a couple lug nuts on it to take the pics for you guys. I still have to take them off to do the suspension. And then to top it all off, I forget I put in 1/2" studs with the Mosier 12 bolt and got 7/16" nuts for the rear. Dang it, now I gots to order some 1/2" inchers.

kman67rsss- Yeah I am not a big Boyd fan myself, but liked the wheels and figured that his personailty doesn't make the wheels. His personality sucks and the way he treats his employees sucks even more, but the wheels def fit the budget ($1500 for tires, wheels, mounted, balanced, lugs, and shipping) and I liked the TTII's, but wanted somethin a bit different.