PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Fbody Modified spindles: where?

radback
10-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Hi,
I need to find a pair of 2nd Gen modified spindles for C5 brakes (I want to keep my stock ones, and second hand parts are hard to locate where I am).
Kore3 only got B body spindle, and Ed Miller vanished...

Do you know a place who sale 2nd gen late spindle already modified at a correct price?
Thanks

ebmiller88
10-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm here, just a bit busy as of late. I'll PM you later today on NZ28. Thanks!

Ed

Twentyover
10-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I've used car-part.com for parts like spindles. I bought my B body spindles through frpm a place in Chicago. Then put them on the shelf becuase I got ATS spindles.

Randy67
10-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Isn't the only difference between the F and B-body spindle is the brake mounting (longer for the 12" rotor)? Once you cut that off, then the C5 brackets out there fit both spindles. So you should be able to find the B- spindles easier than the F-body ones. Just a thought.

radback
10-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Isn't the only difference between the F and B-body spindle is the brake mounting (longer for the 12" rotor)?

Not sure about it, but I think the mounting point of the direction linkage is not located at the same place.

Anyone got a pic of both spindles side by side?

Skip Fix
10-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Some of the B cars had 11" brakes also.

Twentyover
10-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Easy enough to get an F body spindle. There may be steering arm differences between F and B, and there's really (IMO) no good reason to take that risk.

Also remember that the F body has a large and a small outer bearing size, depending on year. Don't know if that's important to you, but the condition exists.

Twentyover
10-05-2009, 08:53 AM
http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

John Wright
10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
One comment between the B-body and F-body spindles...the toe might need adjusting by quite a bit if swapping to a B-body spindle from the F-body spindle.... Just be aware of this because you may have to reset the toe before you can drive to an alignment shop. Been several years since I fooled with this, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

radback
10-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Easy enough to get an F body spindle.

Not in France :)
As I need to import them, I rather get an already modified ones to justify shipping cost.
So any address welcome...
Thanks

Twentyover
10-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Sorry radback-

My bad. I didn't look at your location, apologies.

I thought you were like me, kind of out in the sticks where anything older that 10-15 years was all rusted away.

Didn't realize there was an ocean between us....

well, I did when you said you were in France.

Anyway, make sure you order the right stuff for the spindle. It's doubly difficult to return a mistake from France.

Randy67
10-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Not sure about it, but I think the mounting point of the direction linkage is not located at the same place.

Anyone got a pic of both spindles side by side?

I have my 81 F-body spindles off now and have access to a B-body spindle. I will take a picture and also see if there is any measureable difference between the two, besides the caliper mounting part. Hopefully I can have this done this weekend.

Olav
10-06-2009, 04:43 AM
I cut mine easy job.I also made the brackets and machined the hubs myself. Everything is straigt forward job...
Take a look at my cardomain site for more info.

Have pictures on my PC that I can e mail to to you. Of the spindles and brackets.

Olav

John Wright
10-06-2009, 05:29 AM
I cut mine easy job.I also made the brackets and machined the hubs myself.
me too....
if you need a pic of the modified spindle, here's mine ("before" I drilled and tapped the dustcover holes for the Kore3 brackets)if you look close you can see the center punch mark in the center of the bolt.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=582339&postcount=11

critter
10-06-2009, 07:37 AM
I fully understand wanting to upgrade to the better C5/C6 setup. I wasn't saying that the 1LE was as good, just that it was better than the stockers.

So am I reading correctly that I can keep my B-body spindles and still run the bigger brakes? I was under the impression I would have to swap back to my old F-body spindles to do that.

Skip Fix
10-06-2009, 08:52 AM
I would think if you already have the B body stuff just trim them up like the F body ones. Since the use the same caliper same dust shield and generally the same bearings I would think it should be pretty easy to use them.

John Wright
10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/1405590213.html

For sale in Atlanta, GA

a73formula
10-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I have to agree with the above comments on making your own brackets(or having them made) for the c6 calipers and bolting them on. Pretty straight forward job.

radback
10-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Guys,
If I were in US it would be different, but here in France you can't find a pair of 79 T/A spindles in the local graveyard. And second hand parts are rare.
I want to keep my original spindle in case I need to put the car back to stock.

So I need to buy a new pair in US, and to justify shipping cost, it would be better to buy an already modified pair of spindles.

My problem is the only place I know where to get them is Ed Miller, and Ed Miller is impossible to join. I would like to fit new brake as soon as possible, not in two months.

So if you know a place to buy them, let me know
Thanks

John Wright
10-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks
Just wondering....Did ya check out the seller in the craig's list link?

dipren443
10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Guys,
If I were in US it would be different, but here in France you can't find a pair of 79 T/A spindles in the local graveyard. And second hand parts are rare.
I want to keep my original spindle in case I need to put the car back to stock.

So I need to buy a new pair in US, and to justify shipping cost, it would be better to buy an already modified pair of spindles.

My problem is the only place I know where to get them is Ed Miller, and Ed Miller is impossible to join. I would like to fit new brake as soon as possible, not in two months.

Thanks

I have a pair that I started modifying. The cuts need to be cleaned up and the holes drilled larger and tapped... Would you be interested in them? Can get pics up later....

Olav
10-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi!

For about 250-300 euros i can find a pair of b-body spindles shipped to you from Norway

a73formula
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
oh i thought you wanted to modify yours. Yeah shippings gonna give you problems. They made so many 2nd gen f bodies you should consider modifying your own and then just keep looking around for a closer set of originals to you. Would save you alot of money.

Twentyover
10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Again, just remember the differences in outer bearing size if you buy a set.

What you may want to do is get a deal going with someone who will get the spindles and brackets and ship them over to you if you're having problems contacting Miller

dipren443
10-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Again, just remember the differences in outer bearing size if you buy a set.

What you may want to do is get a deal going with someone who will get the spindles and brackets and ship them over to you if you're having problems contacting Miller

Yeah, for instance... If you wanted the spindles I have... And you wanted to order the brackets from Kore3 and have em shipped to me... I would be more than willing to pack it up in one box for ya... Make your life a little easier...

BonzoHansen
10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
One comment between the B-body and F-body spindles...the toe might need adjusting by quite a bit if swapping to a B-body spindle from the F-body spindle.... Just be aware of this because you may have to reset the toe before you can drive to an alignment shop. Been several years since I fooled with this, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

The difference is minimal and an alignment is required anyway. :)

John Wright
10-08-2009, 03:25 AM
The difference is minimal and an alignment is required anyway. :)
First time that I ran across it, I thought that the spindle was involved in an accident, but it wasn't...the arm for the tie rod was in a slightly different place....not off much, like you said, but it was slightly different....and I agree about the alignment anyway...but to get to the alignment shop you would really scrub the tires on the drive over, if you didn't address the toe at home first.

radback
10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your offer Dipren.
are your spindles +79 or before?

Can you finish to tap the holes? (not sure if I can find tools to do it other than metric here)

dipren443
10-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for your offer Dipren.
are your spindles +79 or before?

Can you finish to tap the holes? (not sure if I can find tools to do it other than metric here)

I will check what year they are. I cannot remember off the top of my head. I yanked them off of a late 70's Firebird in a junkyard, just cant remember the year. My digital calipers are at the office, I will take them home this weekend.

Yeah, if you really need me to, I can drill and tap the holes. Would you be ok with the doing the final cleanup of making them look pretty if I drill and tap the holes?

I should be able to drill and tap them this weekend. If you want to work out some details, my email is: [email protected]

Nick

John Wright
10-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Nick,
Maybe you can tap them so that he can use metric fasteners that he can find locally.....just a thought

dipren443
10-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Nick,
Maybe you can tap them so that he can use metric fasteners that he can find locally.....just a thought

John,

Definitely already thought of that. Also depends on what he is doing for brackets. The Kore3 brackets, for instance, come with the SAE hardware...

I gotta see what we have in our shop here for metric taps too.

:bananna2:

Twentyover
10-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Sounds to me like radback wanted to keep imperial sizes (post #28)

Might be worth waiting for him to imput
1) what type of fastener he wants
2) whose brackets he wants
3) any other features he's looking for

If you're going to ty to help a customer, even if you're not a business, try to what he wants unless it compromises saftey, moral, or ethical standards

dipren443
10-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Sounds to me like radback wanted to keep imperial sizes (post #28)

Might be worth waiting for him to imput
1) what type of fastener he wants
2) whose brackets he wants
3) any other features he's looking for

If you're going to ty to help a customer, even if you're not a business, try to what he wants unless it compromises saftey, moral, or ethical standards

Precisely why I gave him my email. It will help clear spare parts out of my garage too, so I don't mind helping.

:)

radback
10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi,

sorry I wasn't there last days, you've got an email dipren :-)

PS: I intend to use Kore3 bracket.

Randy67
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
First time that I ran across it, I thought that the spindle was involved in an accident, but it wasn't...the arm for the tie rod was in a slightly different place....not off much, like you said, but it was slightly different....and I agree about the alignment anyway...but to get to the alignment shop you would really scrub the tires on the drive over, if you didn't address the toe at home first.

Well, I got the B-spindles today and compared them to my 81 F-body spindles. Bearings are the same, splash shields bolt up. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but the F spindle steering arm is (according to my measurements, straight edge and tape measure method) inboard by 5/16" compared to the B-spindle. This might be a problem for me, I need to do a backspace check to see if this will be a problem. Almost forgot, the darker spindle on the left is the F-body one.

radback
10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Dipren,
did you get my e-mail?

radback
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Dipren,
still waiting from you...
You don't answer email or PM, so I give it a try here.

Please let me know if you changed your mind about the spindles, or if it's still OK.
Thanks