PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs suspension advice

csouth
09-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I have read a lot of the treads in these forums. I all I can say is WOW! I am thoroughly impressed with all the knowledged and willingness to help. I guess I can start by sayin I started a restoration project('72 Cutlass) that has taken a like of its own. I definitely look in the A body chevelle treads as I know all should apply to my car. :machine:I am going in the direction of a resto mod\pro touring look car. My car came with some new parts suspension uninstalled, hotchkiss tubular upper A arms and tall spindles with 11 rotors and discs. My current plan was to install these with hotchkiss front springs and change the lower control arm bushings and sway bar bushings to poly. I was looking for some advice on shocks? I did read about the bump steer of the Hotchkiss setup, should I part with these and start over? I also currently have boxed upper and lower rear trailing arms. Some adjustable uppers may be in my future. My car will be a bb(in assembly)with 700r4 and posi rear. I would also like to run 18x8 fr and 20x10 rr. I'm definitley not looking to hit the track, but want a very nice street machine. Any advice would be helpful. Sorry for being wordy:guilty:

yellow heap
09-30-2009, 05:09 PM
A lot of people POO POO on the B/F body spindle swap-But I think it works well-the added bumpsteer may upset a REAL RACE CAR but on a street/mild race scenerio it is hardly a problem-A fast steering box and good shocks(kyb tighty whities can be stiff-Koni and Bilstien shocks work well) go a LOOONG way as do some stiffer springs-I'm in the stiiffer sping mild sway bar camp(1 1/8 fr-7/8 back work's well on many cars)do some reasearch and decide for your self

csouth
10-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Like I said I just want a strong street machine. I'll go chech on the differences between the shocks out there.

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
10-01-2009, 09:08 PM
If you haven't Bought Control Arms yet Check out SC and C and give Mark a call. Put an hour a side to talk to him, cause he'll have tons of info and his product is top-notch and deliver. SC and C's stage II kit was the biggest improvement on my car period.

Hotchkis
10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
I have read a lot of the treads in these forums. I all I can say is WOW! I am thoroughly impressed with all the knowledged and willingness to help. I guess I can start by sayin I started a restoration project('72 Cutlass) that has taken a like of its own. I definitely look in the A body chevelle treads as I know all should apply to my car. :machine:I am going in the direction of a resto mod\pro touring look car. My car came with some new parts suspension uninstalled, hotchkiss tubular upper A arms and tall spindles with 11 rotors and discs. My current plan was to install these with hotchkiss front springs and change the lower control arm bushings and sway bar bushings to poly. I was looking for some advice on shocks? I did read about the bump steer of the Hotchkiss setup, should I part with these and start over? I also currently have boxed upper and lower rear trailing arms. Some adjustable uppers may be in my future. My car will be a bb(in assembly)with 700r4 and posi rear. I would also like to run 18x8 fr and 20x10 rr. I'm definitley not looking to hit the track, but want a very nice street machine. Any advice would be helpful. Sorry for being wordy:guilty:

Hi, the parts you have are a great starting point. The tubular upper A-arms (http://www.hotchkis.net/gm_abody_tubular_upper_aarm_for_tall_spindle_swap. html) are perfect for your car and the spindles will work well with them. The turning radius with that combination might be slightly altered, but the geometry will be improved significantly overall.

You are always welcome to call us with your questions about the parts you have, and the parts you need. Our HPS shocks (http://www.hotchkis.net/front_hps_1000_shock_gm_abfx_body.html) are valved specifically to work with the suspension parts you have, and getting a system that was all designed and tested together can reduce headaches in the future. If you decide to upgrade later, check out our A-body extreme sway bar (http://www.hotchkis.net/6472_gm_abody_extreme_sway_bar_set.html) set. It's adjustable and more durable than the stock bolt on to trailing arm type.

We make and all of our parts here in the U.S., and we track test every combination so we know our parts will perform and offer you improved handling and reliability.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif