PDA

View Full Version : R4 Compressor brackets for Gen1 sb?

Boyd
04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
I'd like to add the newer style R4 compressor to my A/C system and I've done a search on the second gen board (nastyZ28.com). I found a large group of people that want to do the same thing, and a large group of people recommending brackets that will allow you to bolt an R4 lower down on the engine - but no one mentions who makes these brackets or lists part #'s. Any one out there have a clue about these mystery brackets? Thanks in advance.

gen3bu
04-05-2005, 05:57 PM
how low do you want it mounted?
i think you should be able to use the 88-95 gm truck, or 88-92 f-body accessory brackets. this will force you to use a serpentine system though. gm performance parts also sells a couple of different kits for a serpentine conversion.

kevin

Boyd
04-06-2005, 02:35 PM
The original A6 compressor on most second gen camaros mounts way up high on the driver side of the engine. Very Ugly. Someone out there supposedly makes brackets that will allow a person to bolt an R4 compressor down low on the passenger side (where the smog pump should be). I just can't find these mystery brackets.

I've thought about converting to the GMPP serpentine belt set-up, but my budget is under a Grand and I'd still need hoses, evaporator, drier, & condensor (all of these were removed by the previous owner.)

I've thought about an Old Air or Vintage Air set-up , but the car is a daily-driver and I can't have the car down for a week while I mock-up, pre-fit, assemble, install and troubleshoot the a/c set up and then cut,weld, body work & paint the firewall. ( Do I sound like a whiny b!tch or what?!? :icon_razz )

So I thought the best solution is to buy these "mystery" brackets, install a late-model R4 compressor, new evaporator, drier, condensor & run some custom-length hoses. The car remains driveable the entire time and after a couple weekends and maybe a few late-nights - I'll have A/C.