PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NC

jbow
09-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey everyone. Just found this site tonite and knew I had to sign up. I bought a 1968 Camaro vert (in a barn for 16yrs) not to long ago, complete stripdown, sandblasted, then had a great local paint/body guy do a number on her with some Dupont black and straightning and tweaking all the new metal with the old. The front end is done but is not on the car. This is the stage I am now at.

I have the original 327 engine but not the auto trans. I also have a mild-ish 383 (425hp approx) I could put in her. She has single leafs and a 10 bolt rear which I assume to be stock.

Goals for this car: A much improved ride with a great stance. I will not be dragging or doing any wild autocross (maybe mild autocross). Really going for a great cruising car that is a pleasure to drive mainly. (Flogged the 71 SS back in high school...great memories)

I can spend anywhere from 5k to 12k on front and rear suspension, wheels, tires, brakes. Still got to do transmission, interior, new top, glass, wiring..etc. Love the mini-tubs with a 335 18".

Where to start, where to start....open to any tips, suggestions...

Thanks! James

Tucks69
09-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Welcome to the forum. Where are you located in NC. I just started the mini-tub. I am glad I went ahead and did it. That 335/30/18 looks sweet under the back.

wellis77
09-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Welcome. Great looking project. I'm all about that big tire too, I think it looks great. I will be running 345/30-19.

John Wright
09-30-2009, 03:19 AM
Wow James, you have a nice Vert! Looks like you have a good start on it too. What all will you do to it next? Are you at a point of reassembling it? To keep the car quick through the corners without killing the ride maybe look at some 425-450# front springs and 125# rears, that should be stiffer than what came in it and help control the body a bit and still be pliable enough to keep from really killing your kidneys. get some Del-a-lum bushings in those articulating joints to free things up and let the springs do their job. Some decent shocks to dampen/control the suspension movements. heck, There are several things that you can do to help these cars in the handling dept without spending too terribly much, or you can open your wallet and go hog wild.....LOL

Oh yeah...brakes, keep in mind that when you budget for brakes, give some thought to the wheel and tire package, because the wheels can limit your brake choices...ie. if you're thinking a C5/C6 package you will need to go with at least a 17" dia rim as a minimum.

1971CHEVELLE
09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Welcome to the site

derekf
09-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Welcome aboard, James. Glad to have you.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Welcome to the site, James.

joemac
09-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Welcome

1968CamaroSS_Sam
10-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Welcome James.

socalfandabodys
10-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey, welcome to the site. Awesome Camaro, paint looks great. I reside in North Carolina as well. Who is your paint guy. I'm looking to get the GN resprayed next summer when I get back from overseas. Thanks

jbow
10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome's and the advice. I am in Wilmington, NC...gotta have that salt spray in the air. The painter is in Atkinson. I can give you his number if you need it. What I am trying to figure out at this point is the suspension changeover. Like I mentioned, I kinda am after a milder protouring build, more of a great riding cruiser that has great style. I am eyeballing the quadralink setup from DSE, with a 12 bolt, and the tubs, but dont really know if its overkill for me. Guess I'll go visit the suspension forums.

SkinsandJrfan
04-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Jbow,

Im in Fayetteville and considering repainting my 68. Im fairly new to this site as well and have been doing alot of reading. I too am considering the DSE Quadralink. As for your paint guy, he seems to do nice work. His name and number would be great. I assume you are pretty pleased with his work?

r2craycr
04-05-2010, 05:16 AM
you wouldnt want to be getting rid of the 383 would you?
im in nc and need to get rid of my lt1.
and socal....are you enlisted?