PDA

View Full Version : Temporary convertible top

derekf
09-29-2009, 05:34 AM
My garage is full with my El Camino in there and the 65 convertible sits out in the elements, with holes drilled in the low spots in the floor for drainage.

I've gotten to the point where I need to start doing things that don't like to be wet, like wiring, but the top was in tatters when I got the car and the frame is in the attic.

Has anyone ever made a "temporary" top by attaching ~4mil sheet plastic to the top frame just to keep the elements out? I suppose it'd be stapled at the tack strips and ¿duct taped? to the other bars?

Anyone ever done this? Is 4mil too thin to really do this? Any pitfalls I'm not seeing? Obviously I'd need to put the door windows back in and remount the windshield; on the same "will it work temporarily" note do I need to worry about any sort of adhesive to hold the windshield in, or will its weight be sufficient on a stationary car?

derekf
09-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Back to the top.

I'm not talking about driving the car with this top on it; it's just to keep the interior dry while I put wiring and such in it (It'd be nice to weld the 3/8" drainage holes up in the floorboards too).

Happyfunballs
09-30-2009, 04:50 AM
I think I would buy a small tarp and attach it the way you describe. 4mil may not stand up to wind and the like. BTW, don't duct tape to anything you don't plan on refinishing.