PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounts solid, how about tranny mount?

My427stang
09-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Guys, what do you think?

445 cid, 4 speed car, 4.30 gear, solid motor mounts, 10 inch slicks, race only is urethane OK for the tranny mount, or if motor has solid mounts should the tranny be mounted solid too?

Thanks

BigBlockOlds
09-27-2009, 08:45 AM
I was told by a few racers that you would still want a rubber or poly trans mount just in case considering the trans housing isn't designed to take a lot of extra vibration.

I have solid mounts on my 455 and a poly mount for the T-56.

parsonsj
09-27-2009, 09:07 AM
The other thing to consider is the tranny alignment. You can crack the case if you have to "pull" it into position with the bolts.

jp

GetMore
09-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Do NOT use a solid mount for the transmission. When you get on it, and the chassis twists, something will have to give, and it's almost always going to be the thin transmission case.

My boss has a full tube-chassis race car, where the engine mounts to a mid plate firewall, and has a front plate as well. The transmission mounts to the mid plate up front, and uses a poly transmission mount at the rear.
It doesn't matter that he's got a racing Powerglide with the heavy case and bellhousing, he's still got the flexible trans mount.