PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring sliders?

bsclark
09-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with leaf spring sliders.

I've got a 67 Cougar that is continually being redone. I just finished mini-tubbing it and have some mock-up rims on it for the time being. I'll eventually cut it up and change everything, but for now I'm trying to get the most out of what's there.

At this point I would like to lower the rear a little more without changing leafs. Also, I'm interested in any added anti-roll effect I might get from the sliders. I've found some information on sliders but haven't really found any feedback from people who have used them.

Anyone used sliders and have any pros and cons to report? Performance, noise, durability, etc?

Mock up 295/50R15 with 9.5 rim and 5 in BS:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/1253999253-1.jpg

GetMore
09-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I read through a bunch of info on sliders a couple years ago, but don't remember all of it now. try doing a search, as I'm pretty sure I read it all here.

Sliders do allow the spring to keep the same rate throughout it's travel.
They also eliminate one other location where the springs can shift from, so they do a slightly better job of locating the axle.

They are not meant for street use, and will wear out sooner than a shackle. I don't know how much sooner, so this may not matter to you.
They will transmit more noise to the chassis and give a slightly harsher ride. Again, I don't know how much more noise and harshness, and you might not notice or care.

I have seen two different types. The old ones used ball bearings to reduce the friction of the spring sliding. The new ones use UHMW bushing blocks. These blocks are similar to Delrin, and used in place of bearings on some models of automotive lifts.

stewy
09-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I would just have the leaf springs de-arched however much you would like to lower the rear. Spring shop charged me about $60 for both and did not remove any leafs.

68ls1wannabe
09-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Most every stock suspension leaf spring car that drag races uses the sliders. I'm thinking of going with them myself. I have read in previous posts that they don't last that long on a street car. No one has given a certain mileage though. I would think that if you used the ball bearing type and kept them greased that 10K miles should be ok, but I don't have any experience with them yet.

bsclark
10-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I'm still trying to figure out what route to take. Eventually I'm gonna 4-link it, just not sure how much messing with it I wanna do in the meantime.

68ls1wannabe
02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
resurrection. Anybody else with some experience with the sliders on a street car?

monteboy84
02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Never on a street car, only on circle track stuff. They do what they're supposed to, but reliability for the street is a concern, the average weekend warrior on a short track only puts on maybe 20-30 miles per weekend of racing.

If you're looking to positively locate your diff, just throw a panhard bar on it. Not many people do it with leaf springs, but we did and had good luck with it, so much so that the track banned panhard bars in our class.

smhigh
02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
There is a lot of good information here....
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190704&highlight=leaf+spring+sliders

zuess4u
02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
BSCLARK,

we are running, (will run) sliders on our 67 Camaro. Due to the big concern of the life of the sliders, we mounted them in such a way where we can simple remove them if they give us too much trouble.

A back to back U chanel type bracket was made. Top of the bracket mounts to the stock frame hole where the shackles bolt to, the back side is welded to the slider, then four small tacks around to the frame. If it doesnt work out, grind tacks, un-bolt go back to stock. Im thinking worse case, your only replacing bearing, or bushings, I cant see anything else wearing out.

Another item you may concider is Jim Fays Watts link, if the Cougar is the same set up as a Mustang, I think he has that covered, great guy, good product. Marcus at SC&C will concur.

68Formula
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
zuess4u,

Any chance you can post up some pics of your setup, please?

zuess4u
02-11-2010, 06:17 AM
zuess4u,

Any chance you can post up some pics of your setup, please?

As soon As I can I will, but it may be a couple of weeks because Im out of town and coach hockey...yes in AZ...but as soon as I can I will.

Thanks

68Formula
08-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Were you able to get some pictures to upload.

zuess4u
08-04-2010, 07:31 AM
No, pics...there are some on net though if you google, slider install. From what we have read, anyone that uses them like them.

Update....we will not be using them on our car though...due to the fact we are using Fays2 watts link. Mark from SCandC recomends we dont use both, but to use one or the other, if both were used there would be no room for any movment.

So we have a brand new set of them never installed for sale for cheap..like 35.00...PM me if your interested and for further discussion on the subject.

Thanks BH