PDA

View Full Version : Stupid f'ing vent tube.. help..

Steve1968LS2
04-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Got a nice Rock Valley tank... BUT..

What are you guys doing about the vent tube off the tank? RV puts it off the back of tank and it is horizontal so, if you have a full tank of gas, and you brake the gas sloshes forward and right out the vent tube..

I tried putting a rubber hose on the tube and mounted it as high as I could.. no luck.. I even tried to tie a loop in the hose.. I still have a puddle of gas under the car..

So what is the secret??? You would think SOMEBODY would make a small valve that would allow air to move in and out of the tank but would prevent gasoline from flowing out.

Also, what are people using for a charcoal canister to cut down on the gas odor?? I guess I could use a fish tank canister but you would think there would be a better option..

Thanks in advance..

rockdogz
04-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Steve,
Let me know if you find anything out - this is exactly what I want to know...

Thanks,

camcojb
04-05-2005, 07:40 AM
I plugged mine and run a vented cap.

Jody

Steve1968LS2
04-05-2005, 09:02 AM

Jody

That sounds like the best idea so far... It bugs me that there isn't a fix for this yet.. It seems so simple and that there must be LOTS of people having this same issue..

Time to hit up Autozone for a vented cap :)

<--- still looking for ideas though..

EFI69Cam
04-05-2005, 11:14 AM
That sounds like the best idea so far... It bugs me that there isn't a fix for this yet.. It seems so simple and that there must be LOTS of people having this same issue..

Time to hit up Autozone for a vented cap :)

<--- still looking for ideas though..

The GM EFI tank (out of a grand am) I disected had a roll over valve on the vent tube, encased in a device that looks like it was meant to keep liquid out.
I bought a new tank and am going to implement all the evap related parts from the grand am on my car.

gEtyOpAPiOn
04-07-2005, 06:06 PM
you can use a modifed vent thing from an lt1 tank ...thats what i use hehe ...no spills over here

130fe
04-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Rick, could you please post a picture of your set up for us?

ProTouringNyc
04-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Please ive only filled up once since i have the tank trying to figure this one out too :pics2: post pics please

awr68
04-12-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking of using a 69 tank in my 68 so I can use a vented cap and not have to worry about gas sloshing out onto my paint (tail panel)...will the 69 fit my 68? I know the filler will be behind the plate...I'm ok with that...actually I think it might help clean up the back of the car. From what I can see in pics the only difference is the filler tube location?

tireman
04-13-2005, 10:24 AM
I get some gas sloshing out of my vented cap (it's new) on my 69 tank after a fill-up. It doesn't get on the tail panel, but it still comes out and you can smell it. One thing I don't like about the 69 tank is how low the filler is relative to the tank. I am hoping to avoid using the vented cap on my injection conversion because of this.

awr68
04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Good to know...thanks!!

rockdogz
04-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Hey Steve, I picked up some fish tank charcoal canisters at the local Petco. I found some that are pretty much made for the job, with a cylindrical shape and an opening on one end that fits 3/8" fuel line. The 3/8" line is a bit big for the vent tube off the tank, so it will need a clamp. Even with the loose fit that may be letting some vapors out, it seems to be doing a decent job of keeping the smell down in the garage. What I don't know yet is:

Will they let through enough air when the fuel pump is working hard?
How long will they last?
What will happen if a full tank sloshes gas into them?

I'll try to post some pics - without doors and glass on I'm not going to be going on any long trips/quarter mile runs, so I can't test all aspects yet.

andrewb70
04-19-2005, 01:08 PM

Jody

I did like Jody did.

Andrew

Steve1968LS2
04-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Jody

For the record this is what I went ahead and did..

Still surprised there isn't another option..

rockdogz
04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah, the options on the '68 are a bit more limited since the gas cap is exposed....

David Pozzi
04-19-2005, 10:20 PM
larry was working on a tank vent valve deal, it would hold pressure on the tank similar to the later in-tank valves. I think it was posted in the old forum.

My wife's 73 Camaro came with a vapor separator built into the rear seat back brace area with lines running in and out under the body just forward of the fuel tank. It is over a foot tall by 3" wide and only 3/4" thick. I assume the tank vent line enters the bottom of it, and doesn't extend very high up internally, but the vent line to the charcoal cannister extends to top of the separator so vapor is all that comes out. Any liquid fuel can drain out of the bottom back to the tank.

There may be some kind of boat valve that would work.

farmer
04-22-2005, 08:56 AM
I have used a pcv valve for this on stock cars for 30 years
works great

69lt4
09-12-2005, 03:28 AM
Just curious how everyone made making out with this. I'm about to order a tank and start mocking it. Also, I assume an external fuel filter is recommended. Anyone got pictures how they ran their lines out of their tank. I have ran my hardlines, just need to figure where to mount a filter.
Thanks,
Kevin

69 Camaro, LT4 T56 9" Budnik Hammer 315. DSE stuff........

parsonsj
09-12-2005, 05:16 AM
I'm going to give this product (http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_fuel_air_sep/r_fuel_air_sep.html) a try.

It's a marine fuel/air separator. It is designed to allow boat tanks to be filled without gasoline coming out of the vent. It also works with fuel agitation due to waves and such. If there is still a smell, then you can add the charcoal canister (btw, anybody got a source or pn for one?) to the output of the fuel/air separator.

Cost is about $80.

jp

68 SuperRam
09-12-2005, 09:33 AM
I have the same issues - all I did was drill a small hole in the filler neck on my 68 - and run a small hose down the filler neck in the truck - and then down the filler neck hole in the truck floor - and strapped it pointing down - best think that I can think of until the new gas caps are done - tank is vented this way with no gas slipping out of the tank - I ordered my RV without the vent hole - for that reason - I knew that it would spill out.

I would highly recommend putting a prefilter before the pump - as the RV tanks do not have any screens / filters in the tank - this caused my pump to die - put in a Peterson Fluids 100 micron with ball value pre-filter - works great - and the best part - able to shut the fuel line if needed. Aeromotive also makes the pre-filter - but not sure about the ball value. I have pics - if you need.

130fe
09-13-2005, 05:29 AM
68 Superram, can you send me a picture of your set up to [email protected] .

68 SuperRam
09-13-2005, 07:55 AM
I will try to get some pics out there in a few days for you.