PDA

View Full Version : GM A-Body Rear Suspension

ProTouring442
04-05-2005, 02:10 AM
So I have been reading a lot about the awful GM A-Body rear suspension and I have a few questions. Since the GM system seems to be marginal at best, what other options might there be? I would like to limit this a bit based on a few criteria. 1st, it is a street car. That means it needs to ride decently, and must have room for the exhaust. I have thought about the truck-arm conversions, but they don't seem to leave any room for the exhaust. 2nd, they must be affordable. This would leave out the IRS conversions. And 3rd, I need to be able to perform the conversion! :geek:

So, where does that leave us? I was thinking that I might take a page from GM, a la GNX. What about removing the upper arms and installing a torque arm? Minor floor pan surgery would be required. I am thinking (I haven't taken a good look at the set up) that the torque arm must mount into a sliding arrangement at the front to prevent bind, and I'll need a panhard bar. Surely I can use some sort of available part for this though?

Anyway guys, what do you think?

wally8
04-05-2005, 04:55 AM
I think you and I are on the same page. That's pretty much my criteria as well. I think a TA is going to be the way to go. I'm trying to preserve backseat space otherwise I'd go 3 link since I think it's a little easier.

One little problem is the drive shaft tunnel is pretty small. Like you say, I think some tunnel surgery will be required. This may mess up the back seat as well, I'm not sure yet.

A captured, sliding mount in a poly sandwich would be my choice for mounting as well. I've been trying to find everything I can on TA design. Unfortunately the F-body guys haven't been as big of help as I thought they might. They seem to go for bolt on pieces or copying a bolt on. I'm not sure how long it should be for an A-body.

I'm rearranging my mockup this week so I can get a better idea of how to get this handled.

Wally

todd8541
04-06-2005, 05:44 AM
I am considering a torque arm for my 66. But I am going to use a different locating device other than a watts link or a panhard bar. I am going to make (if I do decide to actually use this suspension) a triangulated telescoping linkage using my upper arm mounts on my frame and rearend. The bearing surfaces will be made out of stainless to eliminate corrosion issues. The next issue will be determining the seals. Since I am a mechanical engineer and deal with seals all the time in my job. It wont take but a phone call to one of our suppliers to eliminate that issue.

Doing it this way will require min. fab and time to get it on the road to enjoy it. I am not looking for a huge difference in road handling just really want to do something different than everyone else.

Todd