PDA

View Full Version : shocks for swaybar endlinks

wrcamaro
04-04-2005, 10:01 PM
half a$$ed idea

i've been researching rally suspensions and it seems they don't like sway bars because it doesn't allow the wheels to move independently. this got me thinking could small shocks in place of the endlinks be able to over come this affect and still keep the benefits of a swaybar? in general could body roll be controlled in a beneficial way? plus the on car adjustability. haven't really thought it out but maybe someone with better understanding of suspension dynamics could play with the idea.

MrQuick
04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
I think you might as well remove it if you'd run something like that? My understanding is the sway bar acts like a see saw for the front suspension...its late and im hungry. Could be wrong.

chicane67
04-04-2005, 11:13 PM
With a chassis that doesnt need to articulate, like that of a rally or off road vehicle, it is more advantageous to have the links as rigid as possible so that they give input to the stay-bar as quickly as possible.

Now in an off road vehicle it may-be something to dwell more thought into....... but for the small window of suspension articulation that we deal with, it has no real application.

This is also another reason for not running a stay-bar that is considered to be too large for the package. Ford likes to under spring and over sway..... as most of the big three like to do now-a-days..... but GM has always liked to spring correctly and compliment with just enough stay-bar. You have to have enough spring in it to keep it off the bumpstops, when the chassis has been lowered to improve not only CG but overall handling as well. You then need to add enough, but not too much stay-bar, to handle any excess roll.