PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a 69 camaro pro touring project

Nicks69Camaro
09-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Hey guys,

My name is Nick and this is my first time joining a site like this and you guys look like a smart bunch of guys. Well I am starting my 69 camaro pro touring project. My best friend is great at restoring classic cars but has never done a pro touring car. So I am going to ask you guys for some help. Like I am lowering the car and putting some large rims 19" 10s back, 19" 8.5 fronts. How far will I need to lower the car or what spring set up to I need. Im guessing 3 inch drop spindles in the front but dont have a clue on the back. My buddy is welding in miny tubs so I hope I dont need any other rearend work, maybe moving shock mounts. I can use all the advice I can get fellas. thanks Nick:1st:

class67
09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Welcome to the site Nick!...if you are using a 10" wide wheel in the back as mentioned, why are you mini tubbing? that wheel will fit in the stock rear tub with the correct backspacing. As for the front, are you using an aftermarket sub frame? with the stock subframe, an 8.5" wide wheel will not work so good...you will be better off with an 8" wide wheel in the front which is pretty std. for these first gens. One other thing, do not use dropped spindles!!! use a lowering spring for the front to eliminate any interference issues (with the tie rods) down the road.

Good luck and keep us posted, oh! and post some pics when you have a chance.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the site, Nick.

Nicks69Camaro
09-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the site Nick!...if you are using a 10" wide wheel in the back as mentioned, why are you mini tubbing? that wheel will fit in the stock rear tub with the correct backspacing. As for the front, are you using an aftermarket sub frame? with the stock subframe, an 8.5" wide wheel will not work so good...you will be better off with an 8" wide wheel in the front which is pretty std. for these first gens. One other thing, do not use dropped spindles!!! use a lowering spring for the front to eliminate any interference issues (with the tie rods) down the road.

Good luck and keep us posted, oh! and post some pics when you have a chance.

Well 8" wide in the front will be fine with me, im using a stock frame, but the rear I would like to get as wide as i can without buying that detroit quadra link 2500bucks ouch, so if I mini tub only and maybe move shock mounts can I get an 11" weel in there, I have my quarters on order and my buddy is rolling the lip, I also just have the stock 10bolt rear end, is there a length difference to that or a 12bolt. So a 19"x 11 rear wheel how do I figure out what hight to lower it. Im so sorry guys for the nub questions. I just see some pics and want my car looking like it. One of these cars is what I am going for.

Motown 454
09-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Welcome Nick

1971CHEVELLE
09-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Welcome to the site

class67
09-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey Nick, your best bet is to jump in and post questions in the suspension and / or wheel sections....you will get much better responses on your questions i.e. more traffic in those topic sections.