PDA

View Full Version : Identify this mystery goo

1969CamaroRS
09-23-2009, 10:19 AM
I have this mystery goo that is oozing out of the bolt holes for the fender cross bar on my 69 Camaro. It has the consistency of something crusty. I never seem to be able to see it when it is running. I think it might have something to do with the heat in the garage.

Here are some pics:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/MysteryGoo003-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/MysteryGoo002-1.jpg

Any ideas what it might be? It keeps coming back even after I clean it up. It also mars the paint which is troubling. Thinking of cleaning it up again and then using a sealer on the fender bolts to maybe keep whatever it is from seeping back out again. Odd part is nothing on the fenderwell side has anything leaking just from the engine compartment side. (Car isn't even running yet).

CarlC
09-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Hey Ed,

Have you tried leaving the brace off and seeing what comes out?

Could something be leaking from the ceiling?

1969CamaroRS
09-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey Ed,

Have you tried leaving the brace off and seeing what comes out?

Could something be leaking from the ceiling?

Oooh good idea, wish I had thought of that before cleaning and sealing the bolts on both sides. When it first happened I thought someone had spilled something but it happened again (4 times now, 2 times each side). If it happens again, definitely leave it off. Odd part is I looked inside with a pen light but couldn't see anything.

Brake clean and Lacquer Thinner won't take off the crusty residue, but simple Green takes it right off (but paint is still marred). Almost looks a bit like battery corrosion (has that consistency).

Samckitt
09-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Was the car ever acid dipped to remove paint & gunk?

71RS/SS396
09-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Or soda blasted and not neutralized properly?

1969CamaroRS
09-23-2009, 12:09 PM

Or soda blasted and not neutralized properly?

No idea actually. All I know is the previous owner said it had had a early 90s partial restoration. Anything is possible.

MikeDVC
09-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Do you have a hood on the car? If so, look at the area (on the hood) above the fender brace; could be dripping from there.

1969CamaroRS
09-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I double checked the hood and surrounding areas, all clean. I don't think its anything from overhead the same exact spot on each side. Plus it has happened both in my garage plus at the local Community college's auto shop as well.

Car isn't running. But the front end and rear end are up on stands at the moment. Maybe something leaking out of the bars is possible, both bars were hot tanked, maybe some of the solution got trapped in the bar and seeps out. Its odd they did hang for a long time and got painted but maybe some did get trapped.

71RS/SS396
09-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I double checked the hood and surrounding areas, all clean. I don't think its anything from overhead the same exact spot on each side. Plus it has happened both in my garage plus at the local Community college's auto shop as well.

Car isn't running. But the front end and rear end are up on stands at the moment. Maybe something leaking out of the bars is possible, both bars were hot tanked, maybe some of the solution got trapped in the bar and seeps out. Its odd they did hang for a long time and got painted but maybe some did get trapped.

Looking closer at the pic I think you may have the culprit, it looks like it is coming out of the bar. Maybe remove them and stand them on end out in the sun for a few days would dry them out,but I'd be afraid it would come back with humidity or moisture.

parsonsj
09-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I like your bar theory. I'd take 'em off and drill drain holes in both ends.

Or maybe call up Twist Machine and order some replacements...

jp

1969CamaroRS
09-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Or maybe call up Twist Machine and order some replacements... jp

Wee another reason to buy new parts! :idea:

Rhino
09-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I love how we all tend to throw frugality into the rear seat when it comes to our cars. :razz:
Somehow a $.78 drill bit doesn't seem nearly as appealing as billet parts.

68BNUT
09-24-2009, 08:53 AM
I love how we all tend to throw frugality into the rear seat when it comes to our cars. :razz:
Somehow a $.78 drill bit doesn't seem nearly as appealing as billet parts.

Well when they start making billet drill bits it may be a different story.

MonzaRacer
09-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Well when they start making billet drill bits it may be a different story.

ROFLMAO:lol:

MonzaRacer
09-26-2009, 05:33 AM
oh by the way THAT does look like hot tank solution leaking out, drill bit and propane torch, dont breath fumes its most likely caustic soda.

LS6 Tommy
11-15-2009, 08:01 AM
tho

LS6 Tommy
11-15-2009, 08:11 AM
The factory bars had "breather" holes in them to eliminate rot caused by condensation building up inside. There's almost never any "sealed" factory parts like that that. They just about all have some of the same type of holes. Those may be aftermarket bars. Try drilling an 1/8" hol in each end of the bar in the round section. I bet the suff oozing out is just a slurry of crud from condensation leaking slowly out of the teeny holes in the bars where the ends were crimped.

Tommy