PDA

View Full Version : This guy deserves a medal

69stang
09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Man Turns Tables On Attempted Robber

Posted: 9:33 pm EDT September 19, 2009Updated: 9:54 pm EDT September 19, 2009
DAYTON, Ohio -- Police said a man acted in self-defense on Saturday when he shot a 24-year-old who tried to rob him at gunpoint. "Little did this kid know that this 72-year-old man was a licensed CCW (carrying a concealed weapon) carrier and he produced his own firearm and defended himself because he was in fear of his life," said Sgt. John Sullivan of the Dayton Police Department. Sullivan said the 24-year-old cut in front of the 72-year-old in the area of Brooklyn Avenue in Dayton. He said the 24-year-old got out of his vehicle with an assault rifle, pointed it at the 72-year-old and tried to rob him. That's when the 72-year-old pulled out his weapon and shot the robber twice, once in the abdomen and once in the arm. The robber is expected to survive his injuries. Police didn't expect to file charges against the 72-year-old. They said the attempted robber would face a charge of aggravated robbery.

Copyright 2009 by WHIOTV.com ([email protected]). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MikeDVC
09-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I agree

This happen in our city last week; Hopkins Student With Samurai Sword Kills Theft Suspect

Baltimore Sun
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Hours earlier, someone had broken into John Pontolillo's home and taken two laptops and a video-game console. Now it was past midnight, and Pontolillo heard noises coming from the garage out back.
The Johns Hopkins University undergraduate didn't run. He didn't call the police. He grabbed his samurai sword.
With the 3- to 5-foot-long weapon in hand, Pontolillo crept toward the noise, police said. When a man inside lunged at him, police said, the confrontation was fatal.
The student "was backed up against a corner, and either out of fear or out of panic, he just struck the sword with force," said city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.
Pontolillo, who rents the off-campus home, nearly severed the man's left hand, inflicting what police called a "spear laceration."
Donald D. Rice of Baltimore, 49, a repeat offender (OVER 29 CONVICTIONS!!!!) who had been released from jail Saturday, died at the scene.
Guglielmi said the state's attorney's office will decide whether to charge Pontolillo, 20, of Wall, N.J.
In a statement Tuesday, Hopkins officials told students that there had been more than a half-dozen recent burglaries in the area and that the police presence would be bolstered.
Diego Ardila, a student who lived with Pontolillo in the home this summer, said, "From what little I know of him, he wasn't some guy going out to kill."
University of Maryland law professor David Gray said prosecutors must weigh whether Pontolillo thought he was in danger or became the aggressor. If he thought he might be severely harmed, then he was within his rights to protect himself, Gray said. "It doesn't matter if he used a gun, a sword or a frying pan."

WS6
09-22-2009, 03:03 PM
unfortunately for the would be samurai, the last I heard is he was not cleared of any charges and the DA could still chose to prosecute him.

More people need to get their CCW permit and get properly trained on how to use a firearm.

68Formula
09-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Wow, makes you feel safe to live in MD. Can't protect yourself from home invasion?

Oh, but wait. If you're an off-duty cop, you can shoot them in the back after they run several blocks away.

"The incident was the second this week in which a man was wounded trying to commit a robbery. An off-duty Baltimore police officer shot and critically wounded a man who had tried to rob him at gunpoint in his Northeast Baltimore home, according to police. He chased the man for two blocks before opening fire, police said."

So you can't stab them if they lunge at you, but you can open fire if they're running away? Are you allowed to stab them if they're running away, or can you only shoot them? Can you still shoot them if they lunge at you, or only if running away?

Can someone from the MD legal system please explain?

68sixspeed
09-22-2009, 04:29 PM
You can not shoot or whatever the person for stealing your property. You CAN defend yourself and your family. Very key, If the guy is in the garage pawing around, don't shoot him until he turns and comes at you!

MikeDVC
09-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I was in a business meeting yesterday, about a block from the samurai incident. There were individuals at the meeting who defended the burglar, and thought the "samurai" should be charged with murder.

Oh, and it's nearly imposible to get a CCW permit in this backwards state of Maryland. Were the criminals are always protected more then the victims. The dead burglar's sister has been all over the local news...just a matter of time for a civil suit to be filed against the student

mc84_zz4
09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
That is why I really like the 'make my day' laws.
The hell with robbers, give the citizens the right to defend themselfs.
We offer perps too much protection, and not enough prosecution.

So once you shoot the guy (enough times), then put a knife or screwdriver in his hand, etc. Drag him into the kitchen so he doesn't spoil your floors too. If they live like animals, they will get the proper treatment they deserve.

Donald D. Rice of Baltimore, 49, a repeat offender (OVER 29 CONVICTIONS!!!!) who had been released from jail Saturday, died at the scene.

So this guy just saved us, the taxpayers, some money trying to prosecute, incarcerate, and 'rehabilitate' this hardened criminal.
Just to have him released to do it again, and apparently; 29 more 'agains' already.
Case dismised, Next!

BA.
09-22-2009, 07:22 PM
"then put a knife or screwdriver in his hand"

Good tip,thanks!

dadto2jays
09-23-2009, 12:08 PM
I say let his mama cry before my mama cries!!!!!

Dead man cant talk!!!

cheapthrillz
09-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I always say "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6"

I have a CCW and know the law.... Nobody would rob me and get away without some form of punishment from me.

You can always position yourself in front of the door they need to go out of.... then they have to come "at you".