PDA

View Full Version : LS1 vs. LS2

mudpick
04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm looking for some advice on picking an engine for my 1968 Camaro. I'm trying to decided between a used LS-1 (with T-56) or a new LS-2. Should I stick with the LS1 because it's been out for a while or jump to the new LS-2?

Which LS-1 engine is best suited for my application? If you could choose the donor year and type?

And finally, are LS-1 transmissions compatable with the LS-2?
Thanks!!

Lowend
04-04-2005, 08:09 PM
In general I would stay away from the LS2 for now... there is just not enough known about the engines and how they will behave at this point to justify the cost and PITA of working with one. Wait a year and stuff will get cheap.

chicane67
04-04-2005, 10:02 PM
What’s the difference between LS1/6 blocks and the new LS2 aluminum block?

• LS2 blocks feature a 4.00” bore, LS1/6 have 3.888”
• Crankshafts, connecting rods, pistons and cylinder heads are interchangeable between LS2 and LS1/6 engines
• LS2 cylinder heads are made from the same castings as the LS6
• LS2 blocks have the knock sensor on the side of the block compared to LS1 or LS6 block that have it in the lifter valley.
• The cam sensor has been moved to the timing cover (requires use of LS2 cam gear)
• LS2 knock sensors send a different signal type and are not interchangeable with LS1/6
• LS1 computer will control LS2 engine, except for the knock sensors.

There is not reason to stay away from an LS2 what-so-ever. There is pleny known about this package because the only thing that really changed is the finished bore and the placement of the knock sensor.

The cost of a bare LS2 block is about $300 bucks cheaper over an LS6, but the heads and all internals are basically the same as the LS1/6....... so, it looks like the newer LS2 might be a little cheaper in initial cost if you were building something from scratch. A crate LS2 runs around $5495 and a crate LS6 runs $5289........new. But you will find plenty LS1/6 engines on the market.

You can also look into the iron block LSx engines. They were originally in the rucks and the F-body chassis. They weight more, but cost less. If you can, I would look into the aluminum later model F-body or Y-body engines and assoicated LSx T-56. You can find them on E-bay for $3500 or so, engine and trans with around 40k miles on them.

ATS makes an all inclusive LSx installation kit for the LSx engine and associated T-56 into the First Gen F-body to include their own headers and oil pan.

Lowend
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
I didn't realize the motors were that similar... I guess its showing that I have been out of the hotrod biz for a few months now.
Oh well, ask me about anything American that is pre 2005 (changed jobs in Jan)

chicane67
04-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Get back into the game man !!! We need you......

Lowend
04-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Ya know - if I could make anywhere near the money in Hotrods that I can in Truck rental/ Leasing I would come back in a moment's notice.

chicane67
04-07-2005, 09:05 PM
How about hotrodding the trucks??

"We can move what you need to in half the time, with twice the fun."

Lowend
04-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah I somehow don't think I could sell a hotrodded one of these
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif