PDA

View Full Version : Help with 80 Malibu

Bill Howell
04-04-2005, 06:19 PM
I am really starting to pull my hair out on this issue with my Malibu that until this has been a breeze. Two or so weeks ago I posted some pictures of the progress on the car and a couple folks told me that the Hooker headers I had installed that wrapped the frame may cause problems with clearance when turning. Sure enough, when I tried it, they rubbed way to soon. I then bought a set of dynomax headers that fit but did not work with the angle plug heads. Next I ordered a set of Patriot headers and again, clearance issues.
Does anyone know who makes a set of headers that actually fits a 80 Malibu, with automatic tranny, column shifter and has angle plug heads? At this point, I would even go for a custom set since this is the only thing holding me up from final assembly. Thanks in advance for any help!

zbugger
04-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Try taking a look at Sanderson Headers. They may be able to help you out with something.

gmachinz
04-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Wow. I didn't know you were using angle plug heads, Bill. I figured the Dynomax ones would have been a snap. You may want to try looking at Schoenfeld headers. A friend of mine had a 406 in a '79 'Bu and he went with a 1-7/8 primary tube header that fit well and he was using Brodix aluminum angle plug heads on it. I'd have told you about them if I knew you had angle plug heads-my bad, or-if you mentioned it, I just forgot. :dunno: -Jabin

white79bu
04-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Bill, I am runnig a set of hooker super comp headers. I bought them off of ebay they were coated and everything. I'm running angle plug heads and a t56 tranny. There actually the best set of malibu headers I have seen that this well. Andy

Bill Howell
04-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the options guys, I may just get this thing together yet.

Steve Chryssos
04-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Bill,
How bad is the DynoMax / Angled plug head interference? If it is minor, consider using a set of Accel 576S spark plugs. These plugs, denoted by the "S" in the part number has a shorter insulator, but the same heat range as a 576. In english, that means that the spark plugs are just plain shorter. That and a little help from Mr. B.F. Hammer might be enough to get you down the road.

Bill Howell
04-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Steve,
Number 5 plug will not clear the header flange and there is no way not to melt a wire there that close.
The good news is I have a set of Hooker Super Comps on the way that the speed shop assures me will work.

PS. I am shocked that you would assume I would resort to using Mr. B. F. Hammer. What kinda hillbilly mechanic you think I is? :lmao:

Steve Chryssos
04-07-2005, 06:03 AM
Just making sure that you are in touch with your primal urges. :comp3:

Bill Howell
04-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Well, I finally got the word on why nothing we have tried has worked. It seems that the victor jr. heads have the exhaust ports raised about 3/4inch. :banghead: That is why all of the headers have had clearance issues. I talked to someone at Hedman today and they know about the problem and have a set on the way that is supposed to work. We shall see.

I want to warn everyone who might be considering edlebrock vic.jr. heads to be aware of this issue. They should include this problem with the paperwork that comes with the heads. It sure would have saved me a lot of time and money. :spank2: