PDA

View Full Version : Body Mounts - Aluminum or Poly?

bigboi
09-20-2009, 01:14 PM
I need to grab a new set of body mounts for my 67 Big Block Camaro. It's a street car that I drive hard. Should I go with aluminum or poly?

Brian

NOT A TA
09-20-2009, 01:17 PM
If you're going to use subframe connectors use aluminum.

bigboi
09-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't have connectors right now... But they are on my "to do" list so I guess aluminum it is.

Brian

a67
09-20-2009, 03:13 PM
My preference has always been steel. The reason is that it eliminates galvanic corrosion. And, they can also be welded to the sub frame prior to painting for an even more rigid chassis.

Bob.

jtmiller92
10-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Do they effect ride quality alot, as for vibrations and such?

68Formula
10-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Depends who you ask.

If you ask most people that run solid mounts, they will said it doesn't affect ride quality much or vibration.

If you ask those that run poly, they say aluminum does affect ride quality and vibration. In other words, they assume it does but have no real personal experience to back it up.

Of the people that might say it affects it, most have not just changed the mounts. They've changed a billion other things as well.

I have personally did a before/after ride comparison with just a mount change, and noticed no difference in ride quality (but a huge improvement in handling).

silver69camaro
10-08-2009, 09:05 AM
My preference has always been steel. The reason is that it eliminates galvanic corrosion. And, they can also be welded to the sub frame prior to painting for an even more rigid chassis.

Bob.

Don't worry about that. The body and subframe are both coated, it would take years and years for any significant damage to occur. My bushings are bare aluminum and have been used for many years, and show absolutely no corrosion whatsoever.

On another note, I've run rubber, poly, delrin, UHMW, and aluminum. Both poly and solid feel the same, and frankly the rubber does too. I think the rubber only has a slight advantage over rough railroad tracks and such, it seemed to reduce NVH a small amount.

My take: If you are willing to give just a little ride quality for better handling, go with solid. Leave the rubber bushings for stockers. Just about every unibody car built today has the subframe solidly mounted to the shell.

jtmiller92
10-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Good info guys. I know what to go with now.